New front forks?

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Hi,recently done a conversion on a old GT mountain bike and everything is good but I quite fancy upgrading the front brake to a disk, does anyone know where I should look for a set of suitable forks (non suspension)disk brakes are totally new to me, cheers

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Aye av had a look and I know once I get the correct fork to fit the bike the rest should be pretty straight forward, it's just knowing where to measure so the headset fits etc.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Hi,recently done a conversion on a old GT mountain bike and everything is good but I quite fancy upgrading the front brake to a disk, does anyone know where I should look for a set of suitable forks (non suspension)disk brakes are totally new to me, cheers
I did the v-brake to front disk brake conversion. Do you have any pics of the bike you want to convert?

DSC00667.JPG DSC00802.JPG DSC00801.JPG DSC00808.JPG DSC00812.JPG DSC00816.JPG DSC00819.JPG DSC01013.JPG

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Aye av had a look and I know once I get the correct fork to fit the bike the rest should be pretty straight forward, it's just knowing where to measure so the headset fits etc.
Will that front wheel take a disk brake? It doesn't look like it. So, you'll need a new front wheel as well.

Disk brake options.JPG

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You could save yourself the bother and put a Magura HS11 (or 22 or 33) hydraulic brake on the front. What brakes does it have? I put an Avid single digit 7 on the back because the Tectro was starting to show its age.

Those two brakes stop a fully loaded 23+ kg bike and trailer no problem.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need to remove your current forks to check them, are they 1", 1&1/8th or tapered. Also measure the head tube length so that you don't but one which is too short, the other part which is needed is the crown race which sits at the very base of the head tube. Will your one easily come off ? Most have a small slot opposite each other to allow a small bladed screwdriver to allow some prying off.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Tabs and LeighPing

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
You could save yourself the bother and put a Magura HS11 (or 22 or 33) hydraulic brake on the front. What brakes does it have? I put an Avid single digit 7 on the back because the Tectro was starting to show its age.

Those two brakes stop a fully loaded 23+ kg bike and trailer no problem.
Never knew hydraulic rim brakes existed! av had a quick look online and that could be an easier option, cheers

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You will feel the difference especially in dosing the braking power. I have given up doing stoppies, it seems to disturb people when men over 60 behave badly on a bike :rolleyes:

And the weight saved over a disk brake is about 200 g. a wheel IIRC.

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
that bike's got cantilever brakes. the ebc kit levers are for v brakes or cable disks. there's (at least) two different cable pull ratios.

http://sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html#levers

swap to decent vbrakes and pads and that bike will stop loads better before you try anything else.
Didn't realise that there was a big difference between cantilever and v brakes so thats another thing to look into, every days a school day, cheers

• Agree

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Just had a wee look into the V brake idea,it's the easiest and cheapest upgrade (about £20) so at that money it's got to be worth a shot, cheers

• Agree

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
I did change the brake blocks/pads to clark ones (not them exact ones) and the brakes improved a lot, av never had a hairy moment or near miss but I would just like to feel more confident that if the situation arose I could stop in a hurry.

• Agree

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Well I finally got round to changing the brakes over from cantilever to the v- brakes and also fitted the Clarks elite brake blocks and after a quick wee run around the block they seem a lot better, al get a better idea when I use the bike to go to work and see how it copes with the couple of steep hills along the way, cheers DSC_0017.JPG DSC_0015.JPG

Advertisers