New main battery powered LED front headlight needed?

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Hello everyone,

My Bearprint front LED headlight powered from the main battery has started to fail.
I need to replace it.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement?
It has a 2 core cable connector.
I do not know what voltage the light uses - 6v? or 12v? - my understanding of electrics is non existant I'm afraid.
Those familiar with my bike will know it is a fairly standard Chinese 36v motor/battery setup.
I like having the option to turn on front and rear lights from the handlebar switch.
I can probably get a like for like replacement from a Freego stockist but wondered if there was a drop in replacement of better quality for a reasonable price.

Best wishes to all.
Barry.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's most likely 36v. Try Kudos for this one, which has multi-low powered LEDs, so is OK for being seen, but not much good for unlit roads:

.: Kudos Cycles - e-bikes with style :.

Search for pictures ofthe Kudos Sport to see what it looks like.

Personally, I'd get one of these, which are much brighter, but you have to mess about with re-chargeable batteries:
CREE XM-L XML T6 LED 1300 Lm Bicycle bike Head Light Headlamp Rechargeable torch | eBay

or one of these, which lasts four times as long. it has a removable (by velcro) battery pack. You can make your own permanent bracket for it. The base gas a screw, so you can remove the base anf screw it to anything to make it a permanent tamper-proof fixture:
1200 Lumens CREE XML T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light Rechargeable Headlight Headlamp | eBay

Here's how I mount them on a plate under the stem:

Last edited by a moderator:

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Hello d8veh,
Thanks for your post.
I have one of those Cree T6 chinese lights and it is brilliant.
Cars think a motor bike is coming their way and nearly aways dip their lights at night time.
What I am after is a replacement permanent light to replace the funny plastic chrome finished Berprint light which came with it.
What about one of those german dynamo lights?
What are they called Busch and Muller?
Would one of those drop in as a better quality and brighter front LED light?
This is where my electrical ignorance handicaps my decision making!?! :)
I wish I had your knowledge and expertise!
I like the onboard lights as if the daylight drops during a big storm I can just turn them on without having to stop, although if it rains hard I still have to stop and don the waterproofs!
Cheers,
Barry.

D

Deleted member 4366

If it's connected to the main harness, it's almost certainly 36v. So only a 36v one will do. Those German dynamo ones are very expensive and not 36v.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
I thought that the wires for the onboard lights from the controller would some how be a smaller voltage but I am just guessing really.
What other 36v suitable LED lights are available?
Anyone got any experience or product links?
Thanks,
Barry.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Hi Bazwaldo.

I have a standard headlamp on my Eagle, it can be switched from the controller unit and provides a useable amount of light for unlit roads using current from the main bike battery. It's not in the Cree T6 class but is satisfactory. They are £20 on the Freego site, here: FreeGo Electric Bikes - Eagle Parts

It is listed about half way down the list. How are you getting on with your Bearprint? My Eagle is over 2 years old now, battery still good for the moment.:cool:

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Hello Eaglerider,
Thanks for your post.
My Bearprint is still going well at the moment with the replacement 16AH battery which Bearprint supplied under warranty just before they closed down.
I have had the bike 3 years last 20.10.13.
I must get around to posting a summary of my ownership.
While completing over 16,000 miles on it now I have had consistant maintenance and repair bills over this period which add up to hundreds of pounds for most parts of the bike.
This shows that the lower end chinese bikes can be kept on the road but at a cost.
I wonder if fellow members doing similar mileage on "better" quality ebikes like Kalkhoff's and Bosch motored german machines will have avoided the high repair bills I have encountered?
Despite this I have really enjoyed and still do enjoy my 26 mile round trip work commute and look forward to it! :)
I will be driving past a Freego stockist near Radstock tomorrow and will pop in to see if they can sort out a replacement front light for me.
Cheers,
Barry.

C

Cyclezee

We have the fairly universal Spanninga Micro FF front light in stock.

They are £20 + delivery.

But if you want a seriously powerful and relatively cheap light go with D8veh's suggestion.

We also have 36v 700, 1000 and 1200 lumen lights that run from the bike battery, but they aren't so cheap;)

Last edited by a moderator: