New Routemaster Bus for London

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
New Mayor for London Boris Johnson has announced the winner of the new routemaster design competition, a consortium including Aston Martin!

It's a full size double decker with front engine, a wide ramp central access for whelchairs and an open rear platform jump on access. Of course these three features will dramatically reduce the buses capacity for passengers so not much good thinking there.

No problem though, since I cannot ever see it appearing, in 2011 as predicted or any other time. All round the world beginning in Paris originally, we've seen the demise of open rear access buses as being too dangerous. On the old slow RT buses it was still acceptable, but the much faster routemasters made it more dangerous and led to a sharp rise in jump on and off accidents, one of the main reasons for them being phased out. I can't see our health and safety brigade ever allowing type approval for open platforms return, which will make a new front engine routemaster pointless as it will be the same as any other disabled access bus design but with less capacity.

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
Something will have to give if there are to be enough buses for the Olympics.. or will we be giving international visitors a real taste of London queues and bus waiting

Once upon a time some 50 years ago I was an avid bus spotter in London - looking out for all the low Routemaster numbers and the high RTs and RTLs to say nothing of the GS's in the countryside.

Is it time to bring back the trolley bus, I wonder, or am I falling into olde time Christmas thinking.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As a onetime resident of Bournemouth in the days of their trolleybuses, I think they were great John. A modern implementation would have a lot going for it in these noise and CO2 avoidance times. Whether London could withstand the massive disruption of the installation of the infrastructure is debatable though, but it would have been a better way of spending the Olympics billions.

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
I've driven Routemasters, and other rear access buses, most bus companies only allow them to be used on their insurance with a clippy. Even mid point exit buses are to be phased out here due to the high incidence of accidents with them. Boris is a bus and train spotter with a severe case of nostalgia.

Advertisers