New Wisper 905 torque problem

TravelsBelly

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2020
Hey all.

Since I have a Wisper bike I thought I would put this here. I hope that's ok?

Just made the leap and brought an Ebike, Wisper 905 torque. Very exciting! Got it delivered on Tuesday. Put it together yesterday but didn't go out due to storms. Made it out today but unfortunately my lovely new and very expensive bike seems to have a problem. I'm very inexperienced with bikes and a total newbie when it comes to Ebikes. Hopefully being a part of the forum will fix that one ;-)

So on testing the bike out this afternoon for the first time it seems like there is at least one problem. The front wheel has a loud ticking whooshing gridny noise. It also stops fairly quicky when I spin it. As I said, I am very inexperienced with bikes but I am guessing there is a problem with the disc breaks??

I was also surprised at how loud the bike is. The motor makes a very loud and audile whirring noise. I've watched many videos while researching bikes and I don't recall hearing such a loud noise? This might not be a problem since I am new to these bikes and don't know what to expect. What do you guys think?

I was also surprised at how much work I need to put in. I guess this is normal since I am heavy at 17 stone and unfit. If the breaks are messed up and rubbing this maybe not helping any?

Briggs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2020
I expect David from Wisper will be interested in the issues, and interested in getting them resolved.

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
Hiya...

If the wheel stops fairly quickly when you spin it, yes that sounds like the brakes are rubbing. If so, that will definitely make cycling harder work. If you ride for a while without applying the brakes much, then stop and feel the brakes - are they hot? They shouldn't be.

With regard to motor noise, I'm afraid I know nothing about the motor on your bike, so I've no idea how loud it normally is. I have a problem with the noise of my new ebike (A Bosch in my case), so I took it back to the LBS where I bought it. If you aren't happy, I recommend you do the same.

I'm surprised they gave you the bike with the brakes binding, Iif ineed that is what it is), but these things happen.

Riding your ebike will still involve effort; the assistance you get is most obvious when going up a hill.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Cheers, John

TravelsBelly

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2020
Hiya...

If the wheel stops fairly quickly when you spin it, yes that sounds like the brakes are rubbing. If so, that will definitely make cycling harder work. If you ride for a while without applying the brakes much, then stop and feel the brakes - are they hot? They shouldn't be.

With regard to motor noise, I'm afraid I know nothing about the motor on your bike, so I've no idea how loud it normally is. I have a problem with the noise of my new ebike (A Bosch in my case), so I took it back to the LBS where I bought it. If you aren't happy, I recommend you do the same.

I'm surprised they gave you the bike with the brakes binding, Iif ineed that is what it is), but these things happen.

Riding your ebike will still involve effort; the assistance you get is most obvious when going up a hill.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Cheers, John
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.
The wheel spin sea like it has some resistance to it.i do t know if it's getting hot. Do you. Think it's okay to ride? I brought it home again because whatever is wrong I don't want getting worse.

I'm pretty upset about having this problem. I would think almost 2 grand of bike would be checked before being sent out. I had such a lot of plans but now I'm just stuck trying to figure a way to sort this out.

I did figure the amount of effort was due to my lack of fitness! Still, it got me up a fairly strep hill tho!

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
If the wheel isnt spinning freely, theer is definitely something wrong, no question. It is most likely to be the brakes. On a new bike, it isnt accepytable - take it back to get ti fixed. You can ask themj about the noisy motor at teh same time - maybe ride anotehr wisper bike while you are there, and compare the two.

I can imagine the upset you feel, I felt the same when I rode home on my lovely new ebike which sounded like a milk float! We have high expectations when we make a big purchase like this and it hurts when they aren't met.

The thing is to not accept it - take action and get it fixed. You'll forget all of this pain once it is running smoothly! As you say you are new to bikes, so you haven't built up any maintenance experience yet - so don't even try to fix it yourself.

I would expect the bike is still safe to ride, probably just wearing out the brakes a bit, but I wouldn't ride it any further than the bike shop just in case.

Cheers, John

Reactions: TravelsBelly

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I did figure the amount of effort was due to my lack of fitness! Still, it got me up a fairly strep hill tho!
Your weight and/or lack of fitness has nothing to do with it (many here share similar issues)... there is a problem with the bike and probably a simple one. If David/Wisper sees this thread he will respond, but you really need to call the supplying dealer and/or Wisper straight away for the help you need.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.
The wheel spin sea like it has some resistance to it.i do t know if it's getting hot. Do you. Think it's okay to ride? I brought it home again because whatever is wrong I don't want getting worse.

I'm pretty upset about having this problem. I would think almost 2 grand of bike would be checked before being sent out. I had such a lot of plans but now I'm just stuck trying to figure a way to sort this out.

Hey all.

Since I have a Wisper bike I thought I would put this here. I hope that's ok?

Just made the leap and brought an Ebike, Wisper 905 torque. Very exciting! Got it delivered on Tuesday. Put it together yesterday but didn't go out due to storms. Made it out today but unfortunately my lovely new and very expensive bike seems to have a problem. I'm very inexperienced with bikes and a total newbie when it comes to Ebikes. Hopefully being a part of the forum will fix that one ;-)

So on testing the bike out this afternoon for the first time it seems like there is at least one problem. The front wheel has a loud ticking whooshing gridny noise. It also stops fairly quicky when I spin it. As I said, I am very inexperienced with bikes but I am guessing there is a problem with the disc breaks??

I was also surprised at how loud the bike is. The motor makes a very loud and audile whirring noise. I've watched many videos while researching bikes and I don't recall hearing such a loud noise? This might not be a problem since I am new to these bikes and don't know what to expect. What do you guys think?

I was also surprised at how much work I need to put in. I guess this is normal since I am heavy at 17 stone and unfit. If the breaks are messed up and rubbing this maybe not helping any?
Hi, thanks for investing in one of our bikes.

Have you tried to contact us?

It’s very unusual for a Wisper bike to arrive with a customer with issues. Everything is adjusted and checked before it leaves us. Maybe there was a problem during transit?

Please drop me a line david@wisperbikes.com with your full name and where you bought the bike from, I will check with support to see if we have heard from you and what progress has been made, I will sort any issues you may have personally.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike uses a torque sensor meaning it only responds in kind to the effort you put in, for an easier effortless rise a 905se with cadence sensor might have been better.
The wheel rotational sounds similar to another recent posters issue with his new Wisper, it might be that it hasn't been set up correctly by the dealer who should have given it the once over. Most are now just box sellers without giving them pre delivery checks.
David will see it is sorted for you as he takes pride in his bikes and company, though like many at the mo they are all flat out.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The bit that worries me is the "put it together yesterday" implies that it came in a box. If so, did you assemble it correctly?

TravelsBelly

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2020
Hi, thanks for investing in one of our bikes.

Have you tried to contact us?

It’s very unusual for a Wisper bike to arrive with a customer with issues. Everything is adjusted and checked before it leaves us. Maybe there was a problem during transit?

Please drop me a line david@wisperbikes.com with your full name and where you bought the bike from, I will check with support to see if we have heard from you and what progress has been made, I will sort any issues you may have personally.

All the best, David
Hi, thanks for your interest. I would love to sort it out as quickly as possible. I've read that Wisper bikes have a good reputation and it's one of the reasons I chose a Wisper. I'm really disappointed. It was a big decision financially for me. It took a lot of saving and agonising over the purchase. Trust me to get a dodgy one.

I'll send you an email right now.

Thanks in advance!

TravelsBelly

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2020
The bike uses a torque sensor meaning it only responds in kind to the effort you put in, for an easier effortless rise a 905se with cadence sensor might have been better.
The wheel rotational sounds similar to another recent posters issue with his new Wisper, it might be that it hasn't been set up correctly by the dealer who should have given it the once over. Most are now just box sellers without giving them pre delivery checks.
David will see it is sorted for you as he takes pride in his bikes and company, though like many at the mo they are all flat out.
Yeah they really should have given it the once over. Almost £2000 of bike deserves a look before sending at the very least!! I probably should have got it from Wisper directly :-(

TravelsBelly

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2020
If the wheel isnt spinning freely, theer is definitely something wrong, no question. It is most likely to be the brakes. On a new bike, it isnt accepytable - take it back to get ti fixed. You can ask themj about the noisy motor at teh same time - maybe ride anotehr wisper bike while you are there, and compare the two.

I can imagine the upset you feel, I felt the same when I rode home on my lovely new ebike which sounded like a milk float! We have high expectations when we make a big purchase like this and it hurts when they aren't met.

The thing is to not accept it - take action and get it fixed. You'll forget all of this pain once it is running smoothly! As you say you are new to bikes, so you haven't built up any maintenance experience yet - so don't even try to fix it yourself.

I would expect the bike is still safe to ride, probably just wearing out the brakes a bit, but I wouldn't ride it any further than the bike shop just in case.

Cheers, John
Thank you. yeah, It's really upsetting. It was big purchase that I saved hard for and now I don't know how long it will take or what is going to be involved in setting things right. I've probably got a narrow time frame to sort this out in too... I' emailing Wisper now so let's hope I can get something sorted soon.

Cheers :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thank you. yeah, It's really upsetting. It was big purchase that I saved hard for and now I don't know how long it will take or what is going to be involved in setting things right. I've probably got a narrow time frame to sort this out in too... I' emailing Wisper now so let's hope I can get something sorted soon.

Cheers :)
Wisper are great and support all their bikes even the really old ones if they can, don't worry about 'a narrow time frame to sort it out' as they will see you right. The issue you have highlighted and David/Wisper likes a happy customer so will be on the case, in the past there have been one or two nasty verbally rude ones with an axe to grind.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

TravelsBelly

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2020
I hope we have got to the bottom of the problem. Thanks for the videos. Just checking all us OK and you have successfully moved the mudguard away from the tyre?

All the best
Yep. Just came here to post that all is OK!

Thank you very much for your help. Wisper rock when it comes to customer service. I wouldn't hesitate in having the confidence to buy again. Glad it was something easy to sort out. Before we knew that though the offer to replace the bike was stunning.

Big thanks again. Took it out yesterday for a late ride and seems good. The motor is quiet now too. (well, as quiet as a big motor pulling an overweight man can be) I think it was noisy because of the rubbing motion.

Happy customer.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Yep. Just came here to post that all is OK!

Thank you very much for your help. Wisper rock when it comes to customer service. I wouldn't hesitate in having the confidence to buy again. Glad it was something easy to sort out. Before we knew that though the offer to replace the bike was stunning.

Big thanks again. Took it out yesterday for a late ride and seems good. The motor is quiet now too. (well, as quiet as a big motor pulling an overweight man can be) I think it was noisy because of the rubbing motion.

Happy customer.
Thanks. We are pleased everything has worked out! Please keep in touch.

All the best, David

Advertisers