Newbie - battery charging question

Sharon

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2016
North Wales
Hi - just taking delivery of my Cube Stereo 160 SL. Once I've had a play locally planning on a weekend away, prob Nant y Arian or Coed y Brenin way. I'm thinking of buying a portable battery charger but am confused on the language around inverter etc. Could anyone give advice on a good portable battery charger pack that I could buy?
thanks to you all in advance

Reactions: chris130256

Sharon

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2016
North Wales
hahaha yes of course, what I meant is a portable power bank that I can take away with me and plug my charger into as I'm not likely to have an electric power point nearby

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Hi Sharon, you live in one of the best places in the UK for mtbiking. I'd wait 'till you get out in the mountains for a days riding before worrying about getting a portable charger. Your've very likely get 50 miles of use before the battery is flat? I know I'm physically finished before my battery is when riding tough off road trails. You're going to love the bike

Reactions: Sharon

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The only real, practical choice for off grid charging is a generator. I don't think you'll be wanting to carry one of those around. The other option is a spare, charged battery.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PH001

Pedelecer
May 18, 2016
Harrogate, N. Yorks
The word inverter is a general term used the describe the function of converting DC to AC. This is because the energy storage is nearly always DC (i.e. a battery) but you need mains out which is of course 230Vac for your battery charger.

In that respect almost any inverter will do the job but make sure that the battery capacity of the inverter you buy is at least 150% of your bike battery. This way you are guaranteed to get at least one full recharge out of it before it's flat. Many inverters can be powered from an external 12V (like a car battery) which means you don't have the worry of the above.

The other thing to check is that the inverter can supply enough power (VA rating). Your charger is only likely to be 100VA or so and even the most basic inverters are usually capable of this. Again make sure you have 50% in hand so you would need a VA rating of at least 150VA for a 100VA charger. If the term VA confuses you , you can just think of it was watts as they are almost the same thing for what we are talking about here.

I agree an inverter is massively cheaper than buying a second battery.

Actually the most efficient way to do this is with a 12V to 36V battery charger. You can plug this into your car etc and recharge your bike at will without having to go through the DC to AC inversion. The difficulty is that using an aftermarket charger will probably screw your battery warranty, it must be optimised for LI-Ion charging and connectors etc will undoubtedly need to be changed. But they are available.

This guy has done something similar using a solar panel to charge his e-bike...

The 12V to 36V charger is an HP812 but it looks a bit tricky to find in the UK. http://www.glowwormbicycles.com.au/collections/accessories/products/ezee-battery-charger-12v-to-36v-car-charger

Reactions: Sharon

Justin767

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 22, 2016
Alresford
What did you do in the end Sharon?
Did you have enough range or did you find a friendly pub?!
The regular charger is about the same size and weight as a drink bottle.. My plan for a long ride next June (with 18 hours of daylight!) is to pack the charger in my rucksack and stop half way along the South Downs Way for a long pub lunch and battery top up!!
There's no cost outlay compared to buying another battery and it's a lot lighter than borrowing someones battery to carry with me.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Justin767

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 22, 2016
Alresford
Was that because you were doing the main climbing up into the hills initially? I find my 5 'battery capacity bars' go down pretty steadily.. Normally I have 2 or 3 bars left in my 500WHr battery but I've run it right down a couple of times on particularly long rides..

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
www.cubeengineering.co.uk
I bough the car charger as well, as the (cheap???) Halfords invertor I had fried itself when trying to charge the bike battery and normal 240V / 3 pin plug charger. It it slower to charge than the mains charger, but in 6 to 7 hours it's fully charged. I use it to top up while driving between rides - like the day I did Penmacno and then Snowdon - the hours drive just topped it up enough. I don't charge it without the engine running though as don't want to risk getting stranded.

As others have said, I will now be getting a spare battery for those extended rides and not having to worry about getting back before running out.

Related Articles

Advertisers