Next MTB after KTM Macina

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Hi,

I am just considering changing my e-bike.

I love the KTM but with the marathon tyres on (too many punctures with the Rocket Ron's) its getting quite heavy to lift on to the camper van rack for an OAP like me.

So I am looking for another e-bike in a similar or better class than the KTM but lighter and maybe with an intergral alarm?

I would welcome any suggestions for consideration

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The model year Lycan that you own weighs 20.8kg.

How about changing to a Macina hardtail? It would give you a weight saving of approximately 2kg.

My Macina hardtail weighed in at 18.7kg, and removing the battery from the bike would reduce that weight by a further 2.5kg.

Trekking/utilty style bikes can be a lot of fun, so perhaps even think along those lines. Many hardtail trekking bikes seem to already come with a suspension seat post already fitted, and may even offer the added security that you require as well.

Reactions: bigclick

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
The thing is i do like the rear suspension especialy when racing down a steep incline that suddeny changes to a level surface, oh and doing the trails with roots and leaf mucketc in Poolsbrook.

Maybe I should think about a rack that lowers on the van.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
In respect of cycle racks that lower, I have no idea what is available, but it sounds to me as though it could be something that is worth exploring.

If you are happy with the Macina Lycan, and it has no known faults, then it could make economic sense to keep it. Taking into account depreciation of the bike, and any potential hassle that selling it might incur, suddenly a rack sounds quite appealing. :)

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I will have a similar issue, have you considered a towball rack which tips backwards to allow access? My son used one last weekend and I was surprised how stable it was with four normal bikes on it. Here is one for two E bikes.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?25216&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlMXMBRC1ARIsAKKGuwgX66ryGO2jlxeGR_eL_12uLwv7PKV9sbJ8okvege1eiy8arTSDptEaAi0JEALw_wcB

and this article looks helpful https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/post/thule-towball-cycle-racks-explained-best-electric-bikes/

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
it would cost a lot fro me to have a tow bar fitted to a Hymer camper van :-( I think the pull down carrier is my best option

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Woops, I have a VW California and it has a high carrier so I assumed you had too, my mistake.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If you have plenty of money to spend a carbon full-sus bike would give you the greatest weight saving.

Haibike springs to mind as one maker, although there may be others.

A carbon hardtail would be even lighter, and might not crash over bumps in quite the same way a heavier aluminium bike would.

• Agree
Reactions: bigclick

Related Articles

Advertisers