Noisy rear spokes around hub motor.

handmadematt

Pedelecer
Hi guys, I've introduced myself in the new members area with pictures of the new bike that I've built myself.
Here:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/ive-just-finished-building-my-first-trail-ebike-pics.18787/

The spokes around my new hub have started to "tinkle" and "clink" a bit, a fair bit actually. It's a new bit of kit and these things settle in I guess and need adjusting. I've covered nearly one hundred miles since building the bike which might have something to do with it!

I am mechanically sympathetic and have tightened loose spokes on my motorcycles for an MOT a few times.
I have never done bicycle spokes though and am cautions about messing up the wheel because I'm sure they're not as strong/ rigid as motorcycle rims.

Any advice before I "tinker with my tinkle" would be great. (Sorry. lol)
Ta.

D

Deleted member 4366

You need a calibrated hand. If you do them all to the same tension, the rim will stay true. once you have all the nipples the same tightness, you can tighten them all 1/4 turn at a time. there's loads of guides how to true the rim on youtube if it goes wobbly.

handmadematt

Pedelecer
Thanks mate. They all feel fairly tight, a little movement here and there but pretty consistent. Some actually make the creaking sound when I pull on them but not all. The wheel is true at the moment. I think I'll go round and put a 1/4 turn on each and see if that solves it, or just do the ones that creak first and see.
Ta.

Last edited:

handmadematt

Pedelecer
UPDATE.
After watching some youtube videos I tweaked each spoke a quarter turn and it has solved the noise. Thanks for the advice.
Seeing as I have disc brakes there were no pads by the wheel rim to judge how true it was so I attached some cable ties to the frame and clipped them off so that they were just off the rim.

D

Deleted member 4366

.........so I attached some cable ties to the frame and clipped them off so that they were just off the rim.
That's how I do it too. You can rotate it round 'til it just touches, then you can see it go backwards and forwards with the run-out.

Reactions: handmadematt

Advertisers