Noob

Doogle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2018
Cumbria
Hi not sure if this is the correct thread or not but apologies in advance if it is.
I'm currently awaiting delivery of my bike but thinking ahead could do with some advice on a few things I may need or want to change.

Pedals: I'm guessing it will come with some form of 'Stock' pedal but I would like to change for something else, not keen on anything fancy like clip in's or similar, fancy the idea of flats but not sure I want to be limited in my choice of footwear (I believe you wear shoes with a softer sole compound that allow the shoe to grip better ?) I basically want to be able to just jump on and off the bike as and when without having to keep changing footwear, riding will be mostly road commuting, riding the lanes and light trails in my area, any ideas/suggestions would be grateful. (Not too pricey would be a bonus)

Lights: What lighting would you recommend for day to day riding to and from work, not many areas where it gets really dark due to street lighting but as I say I may also use lanes where there is none, also apart from the lighting for the bike do you recommend any personal lighting for rucksacks helmets etc.

Security: Any good quality locks out there that aren't huge and bulky to carry, I prefer something that's easily portable and discreet (if that's possible) but any advice on this would be helpful.

Clothing: There's such a vast array of clothing I would like people's views on what to wear day to day, winter, wet weather, once again any advice/links would be great.

Lastly anything else you may think I should consider to make my journey back to cycling easier (Apart from use the car) could be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help.:)

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Use platform pedals, the kind that you see on BMX and jump bikes. They grip my work boots and trainers just fine. I use degbit lights from eBay they are about 10 quid, usb rechargeable and bright enough to see in total darkness. You can have a secure lock or a light lock, not both. That said some are better than others, look at the security rating. I just use a thick chain from Wilko. Wear whatever you like, the beauty of e bikes is less sweat, I normally just wear jigs and whatever layers I need. Lastly get a decent set of mudguards to keep you dry

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Also some puncture resistant tyres, and carry a tube, puncture kit with tyre levers and pump

Reactions: Doogle

Doogle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2018
Cumbria
Cheers for the reply and comments, I'd forgotten mudguards although I prefer without if I'm commuting (particularly winter) it makes sense to have some, maybe an unobtrusive easily removable pair.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Cheers for the reply and comments, I'd forgotten mudguards although I prefer without if I'm commuting (particularly winter) it makes sense to have some, maybe an unobtrusive easily removable pair.
You want a rear that covers the whole top of the tyre, otherwise you get spray up your back. Front is less important, I just run one of those cable tie ones on the front, on the rear I have a zefal no mud which keeps most of it at bay. Between December and February you want to think about having some studs on the front tyre at least to keep you upright. I ran a front only last winter and only had one tumble on solid ice, and that was because I lay the bike down so I didn't crash into the wife lol

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Pedals? Get flats. I have a pair of Nukeproof ones on both my bikes (cost £35) - perfect with 5Tens but easily grippy enough with a pair of trainers or walking shoes for commuting.

Clothes? Layers are best. Base layers, long-sleeved cycle jersey, softshell, waterproof. Decent pair of lined waterproof gloves also worth having .none of that needs to cost the Earth though. Can then perm those layers, depending on the forecast. I have MTB shorts and close-fitting cycle trousers with tight-style things for when it's coldest, underneath.
Lights? A dual front & back light permanently attached to my helmet is great as a start. Then add removable front and rear lights; all usb rechargeable.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0017_01.JPG
DSC_0019_01.JPG
not cheap tho but you can have clips and flats :cool:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Lights: What lighting would you recommend for day to day riding to and from work, not many areas where it gets really dark due to street lighting but as I say I may also use lanes where there is none, also apart from the lighting for the bike do you recommend any personal lighting for rucksacks helmets etc.
You won't go far wrong with this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000LM-XM-L2-LED-Headlight-Front-Bike-Bicycle-HeadLamp-Head-Light-18650-SET-/151628782015
Search the forum for 'new best headlight' for reviews
Clothing: There's such a vast array of clothing I would like people's views on what to wear day to day, winter, wet weather, once again any advice/links would be great.
I don't think you need to bother with cycling specific clothes for commuting on an ebike, so I just use a hi-vis work jacket from SportsDirect which is waterproof and very warm on cold mornings. I also use Gelert waterproof overtrousers from there too.
However I find Altura Night Vision gear is pretty good though too.
Pedals: I'm guessing it will come with some form of 'Stock' pedal but I would like to change for something else, not keen on anything fancy like clip in's or similar, fancy the idea of flats but not sure I want to be limited in my choice of footwear (I believe you wear shoes with a softer sole compound that allow the shoe to grip better ?) I basically want to be able to just jump on and off the bike as and when without having to keep changing footwear, riding will be mostly road commuting, riding the lanes and light trails in my area, any ideas/suggestions would be grateful. (Not too pricey would be a bonus)
I find these Rockbros pedals good, they are lightweight, have small studs to stop you slipping off and are quite a large size so ideal if wearing waterproof walking boots or work boots as I generally will.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCKBROS-MTB-Bike-Bicycle-Pedals-Flat-Platform-Sealed-Bearing-Pedals-9-16-Pair/251897966306?hash=item3aa649eee2:g:PrYAAOSw3qdbQbQ2

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I would buy a windproof jacket as well as waterproofs as it is more breathable, lighter and will keep you dry in light showers.

I like this smock but it is not to everybody taste.

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-in/explore-range/product/?pk=22538762-164A-4879-908B-E7FF81D04D83

I have used these companies in the past for clothing:

https://www.endurasport.com

https://www.alpkit.com

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-11006-cycling-jackets-and-gilets/N-299342-product-type~windbreaker?fi=c

Alpkit, endura, decathlon, Lidl and Aldi.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Advertisers