Now this looks appealing.

MarkTheGoose

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2014
So, 4 riders per team, or solo riders (can't quite resolve continuous cycling for 24 hours!). You're allowed 20 x 400Wh batteries. Circuit is just under 5 miles, so battery changes would require some planning. A long way from a jaunt on the South Downs ...

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Is it all road path?
I can't manage any bunny hop or similar obstacles ?
But with a fast cruising speed and comfortable ride position it would be fun.

And 24 hour solos are common! In the race world.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A long way from a jaunt on the South Downs ...
Exactly, which is why I said.... "I can dream"

Having said that, there is talk of getting a team together to do this. http://www.enduresaddlesore.com/ No e-mtb's but I'm not worried about that aspect of things, as I'm now using the e-mtb less and less, and using the pedal mtb more and more. My now regular riding with an ex cycling pro, forced that one, and I'm now finding it more and more addictive, and also more rewarding. Shared between 8 of us, this is a potentially doable event for me. My knees being the only major concern. But with two time options, the 12 hour option could be just about right.
The event is also right on my doorstep, and up until a few weeks ago when I was stopped from ever riding the on grounds again :( it has been one of my regular day and night time riding haunts, and I probably know the place better than anyone else.

Ref the German event. It isn't 20 batteries. Bosch are allocating 20 batteries for the event. My understanding, is that solo riders are allowed two batteries and two bikes, and battery usage would need to be carefully planned, swapped and charged. Supplying 20 batteries to each rider would mean hundreds of batteries, and wouldn't exactly make for a challenging ride.
You also don't have to ride solid for 24 hours, that is simply the allotted time for completed laps.

Last edited:

MarkTheGoose

Oct 17, 2014
Thanks for clarification on batteries, my bad translation! Endure Saddle Sore looks like quite a thing. As a (much) younger man with a bunch of mates I could see how that would be a real hoot. Sadly no longer for me, although just the thrill of getting out, off-road, on an MTB again now I've discovered powered bikes is keeping me very happy. That weekend in August Mrs Goose & I will be swanning around in the car in Northern Spain, so I can't even come & watch people getting tired & dirty ...

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Mark it wasn't your bad translation at all. :) It just isn't very clear until you try to enter the event, then it is explained in more detail. I couldn't even work out how much that it cost to enter the event!

What is interesting is that racing invalidates the Bosch warranty, but this 'slight' over sight isn't mentioned anywhere that I could see.

Ref the UK event. My mind is willing, but realistically I can see me just going along to be a pit pony/repair man.
It's a very fine line of what my knees will and won't handle, and being realistic, I reckon that it would wipe me out.
The lads that I'm discussing it are ex and current cross country/endurance racers, and an ex pro road rider. I'd probably pee them off big time, with poor effort. :)

Oh to have good joints that aren't completely shot to bits. :(

Last edited:

MarkTheGoose

Oct 17, 2014
Gosh, the observation about 'racing' and 'warranties' is interesting, given the obvious Bosch endorsement. I assume 'racing' has to be an organised event, as we're probably all guilty of a bit of racing from time to time (even if it's only roadie baiting up steep hills!).

Puts me in mind of a friend of mine who once said "any two yachts on the same tack are racing" - always makes me smile ...

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
...The event is also right on my doorstep, and up until a few weeks ago when I was stopped from ever riding the on grounds again :( it has been one of my regular day and night time riding haunts, and I probably know the place better than anyone else.
Is this something you would prefer not to share Eddie, or have I missed the story in another post somewhere?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
There isn't really that much to say. :)

As a kid I used to play within the grounds which cover some 850 acres, and have used it as a cut through to get to other places to go riding. I always assumed that it was MOD land, but it turns out that it isn't. I was out doing my current good deed, and cycled through the land for a short cut, only to be stopped by a very nice polite person who happened to own the estate. The MOD only rent it, which I wasn't aware of.
I was left in no doubt that I shouldn't have been on the land, but before being allowed to continue, he gave me brief details about the mtb event.
I emailed the owner as soon as I got back indoors to apologize once again, and received a very pleasant email in return. :)
The conservation that I had engage in had started my brain whirring, and I'm now investigating the idea of perhaps hiring some of the events venue for a dedicate e-bike event. :) When the next e-mtb arrives, I'm also aiming to take across for the owner to try and to discuss event options further. :)

It good to turn what could have been a very negative meeting of the owner into something positive.

Reactions: peerjay56

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As with most landowners, objections to use evaporate when you dangle a few quid in front of them.

Advertisers