O6 info code?

Rustproofhawk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2019
Hi guys! I'm new to all this ebike stuff and decided to convert my mtb in a 1500w ebike, seems easy enough but I had a few testing issues getting the wheel to fit and I span the wheel by accident whilst modifying the bike upside down, it wrapped the wire around the axle and now I have this fault code 06 info? It's a ktlcd3 display and a kt sinewave controller, 52v battery and 1500w rear motor

From what I can gather that code means a wiring fault in the motor or controller? My controller gets warm when not running now, is that normal? Or maybe the wiring fault is within the controller.

I don't know whether to by a new motor from eBay or a new controller?

Thanks!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
06 is phase wire issue , a motor wire short is the most likely outcome of the motor wire wrapping itself around the axle.

You can try a manual test with the motor/controller connected.
With the wheel off the ground try turning the wheel quickly, if you feel hard resistance disconnect the controller and try again. If it hasn't freed up then motor phase wire has an issue, if it the wheel frees up then controller fets will likely be damaged.

Rustproofhawk

Mar 4, 2019
Thanks for your reply, I have a feeling it's the motor wire, so I'll try your test later to confirm. Is it possible to fix if that's the case? Pop the motor open and 're solider the wire? Or is a new motor needed?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it's the motor wire then any short or wire break is probably as it enters the hollow axle. Although I haven't tried a re- wire it will be a time consuming job, the first hard bit is feeding the motor cable through the axle though a bit of grease should help things slide. Better then grease though is use a it of spread from the fridge.

1500W is a lot of power and needs a very good battery to deliver the power required, it will certainly need a air of torque arms attached to prevent more accicdents.

Reactions: Rustproofhawk

Rustproofhawk

Mar 4, 2019
Ah ok great. I'll pull it apart and see what I can do, i might just order a new motor if it looks a pain

I have 52v 21a Panasonic battery so power isn't a issue, I also have torque arms but didn't have one side fitted on my test, I have realised how much power this has now and the arms are a must lol

Got 30mph on my test run ha

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I find it easier to repair the wires on a direct drive motor like yours than a geared one. As long as the wires aren't too damaged, you can simply pull the wire through the axle until the damaged bit is right through, then cut it, unsolder the redundant bit and resolder the new bit. That will leave your motor cable about 9" shorter than it was before, which is normally OK, but check first. If your outer sleeve is damaged, it might jam in the axle to prevent it pulling through, in which case you have to cut or unsolder all the wires inside the motor so you can pull it back a couple of inches, then wrap the damaged cable in thin selotape or similar to hold it down while you pull it through. Fitting a new motor cable is quite expensive and much more difficult.

Reactions: Rustproofhawk

Rustproofhawk

Mar 4, 2019
I think the damage to the wire will be on the motor end of the wire. I need to pull the casing off to see if it's damaged inside the motor, the connecter end seem to be fine

Rustproofhawk

Mar 4, 2019
That's where I think it is, just need to get it apart and have a look. Am I right in thinking the casing should prize off once the screw are removed

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You remove the screws, then whack the end of the axle with a mallet, which makes the cover detach enough to start levering. They sometimes come the rest of the way with levering if you're careful and keep increasing the thickness of your levers, but if it gets stuck, you need a two or three legged puller to draw it off the rest of the way.

Rustproofhawk

Mar 4, 2019
So I got it apart no prob, turns out like I suspected the wire has been damaged, exposing enough of the inner wires, causing them to short.
I decided to open up the controller to see if that had any signs of short circuit, nothing I can see by eye and the display still reads 06 info with the wheel off... surly if the fault code is still there with the wheel off it might be the controller?

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you get 06 with the motor disconnected, you've blown one or more MOSFETs in the controller. You can't see it, but you can test for it by measuring the resistance between each of the two battery wires and each of the three motor phase wires to get 6 readings. Each set of three should be the same as each other and at least 6K.

Rustproofhawk

Mar 4, 2019
Ah I see, annoyingly I don't have a multimeter to hand. But assuming there is a blown mosfet, is it worth just buying a new controller?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Personally, I always like to tie up all the loose ends because then you know you're not going to uncover further problems after you started spending money.

If you're going to try to fix ebikes, you need a meter. You can buy them from £2.50 on Ebay, so there should be no excuse for not having one.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Rustproofhawk

Mar 4, 2019
Yeah that makes sense, I should have a meter really, got all the other tools for mechanical stuff but never really touched electrics until now
Thansk for your advice, I'll check the controller out to be sure and if that's the case, just buy a new one and tape up the motor wire

Advertisers