Obating replacement throttle on 6 speed electric bike.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
Hello my friends, it's been quite a while since my last visit and eveything has been going well until last week when my throttle disintegrated,,,when it fell apart I couldn't turn the power off other than with the key.

I have taken the throttle apart which is not repairable. I have had the bike for about 3 years,,, it doesn't have a makers name on it... I have looked everywhere on the internet to find a replacement. The problem is that It's very difficult to see how many wires it has,, I can see blue green yellow red and black but the wires are not easily traceable inside the throttle.... the wires go through the inside cavity of the bike frame and trying to track them to the controller is nigh on impossible...The maddening thing about this is that power does not come on when peddling since this happened so I am completely without power and due to my age and physical problems I cant get out. When I turn the key all of the lights come on on the throttle handle,,, the lights which are on a seperate button also still work.......I have even taken the model number off the throttle and the manufacturers name but they will not supply direct......appreciate any help folks thank you

D

Deleted member 4366

Just show us a photo of the throttle. We can probably figure out the rest.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
Just show us a photo of the throttle. We can probably figure out the rest.
thanks for the reply sorry about the Obating,,, dont know waht happened there,, arthritis in the fingers,, thats my excuse.. It should have read Obtaining.. I will take a couple of pics today and the see if I can upload them..
cheers for now

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a standard throttle with standard wires. Any throttle will work. I'd use the chance to change to a half-throttle or a thumb-throttle, which are not so easy to break.. The LEDs are optional. Do you feel you need them? If so, you will obviously have to get a throttle with them. Some throttles with LEDs have a red switch too, which you can leave disconnected or use it for your lights or anything else. I've got a few throttles. I can sell you one for £5 plus postage (£3). Just tell me which type you want: Full, half, thumb; with/without LEDs.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
That's a standard throttle with standard wires. Any throttle will work. I'd use the chance to change to a half-throttle or a thumb-throttle, which are not so easy to break.. The LEDs are optional. Do you feel you need them? If so, you will obviously have to get a throttle with them. Some throttles with LEDs have a red switch too, which you can leave disconnected or use it for your lights or anything else. I've got a few throttles. I can sell you one for £5 plus postage (£3). Just tell me which type you want: Full, half, thumb; with/without LEDs.

Thank you for your reply....I just need to clarify a couple of things with you..

Because its so difficult to track and replace the exisiting cable through the frame to the controller,, I was going to open the existing cable up near to the handle bars and reconnect the new throttle matching up the right coloured wires of course..My lights are on a seperate button but I'm not sure what the wiring is without I take it apart....I think I would prefer the led lights as it does give me some indication as to how long my battery has left.
Do the throttles you have have the same colours, only I have looked on Ebay and some have more, some have different colours...I just thought if I could change it like for like it would be much easier for me...I am not a technical person and my arthritis does make things a little more difficult.

I very much appreciate your jhelp,,, thank you

D

Deleted member 4366

The colours on yours are:
Red 5v supply for the hall sensor
Black 0v ground
Green output from the hall to the controller (normally called signal)
Yellow battery voltage for the LEDs

Red and black for 5v and 0v is more or less standard. The signal is normally green or white. Therefore, if you have a three wire throttle, it's obvious which wire is which. If the throttle has LED's, the LED wire is often green. If you connect that to the signal wire, you wipe out the throttle. If the throttle has a switch, the switch wires can be any colour, but it's easy to figure out what's what because the three hall sensor wires are always on a separate three-pin connector.

To answer you question, you can cut your wire at the handlebars and join the wires, which will be red to red, black to black, your green to probably new throttle's white, your yellow to new throttles LED wire (probably green).

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
Black 0v ground

Red and black for 5v and 0v is more or less standard. The signal is normally green or white. Therefore, if you have a three wire throttle, it's obvious which wire is which. If the throttle has LED's, the LED wire is often green. If you connect that to the signal wire, you wipe out the throttle. If the throttle has a switch, the switch wires can be any colour, but it's easy to figure out what's what because the three hall sensor wires are always on a separate three-pin connector.

To answer you question, you can cut your wire at the handlebars and join the wires, which will be red to red, black to black, your green to probably new throttle's white, your yellow to new throttles LED wire (probably green).

Black 0v ground

I have discovered that the make and model of my throttle is Wuxing LT 25XR.

I have also take another picture of the cable and colours which seem to terminate in a very tiny black terminal... There is a blue , green, red and yellow wire but the blue wire is then joined together with a black wire which then goes to the led board along with a yellow wire.

Did you say you had one available with led's on if so what would I connect to your throttle.. The seperate light button has one red and one black wire.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

Can I see a picture of the other end? I guess it's a JST SM 2.5mm 4-pin like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JST-2-5-SM-4-Pin-Battery-Male-Female-Connector-Plug-Crimps-x-10-sets-/181426642516?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3ddede54

I don't have any 4 pin ones because they're not common. I have full, half and thumb throttles with LEDs and red button. You don't have to use the red button, but it's useful as a light switch. If I had a 4 pin connector I could make it so that you only have to plug it in, but I don't. The best I can do is put bare pins on it so that you can take your pins out of the little black housing and just clip the new ones in.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
Can I see a picture of the other end? I guess it's a JST SM 2.5mm 4-pin like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JST-2-5-SM-4-Pin-Battery-Male-Female-Connector-Plug-Crimps-x-10-sets-/181426642516?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3ddede54

I don't have any 4 pin ones because they're not common. I have full, half and thumb throttles with LEDs and red button. You don't have to use the red button, but it's useful as a light switch. If I had a 4 pin connector I could make it so that you only have to plug it in, but I don't. The best I can do is put bare pins on it so that you can take your pins out of the little black housing and just clip the new ones in.
It is nothing like the one on Ebay,, its not like any connector or terminal I have ever seen. It looks just like a solid piece of ceramic.
It looks as if the bare wire is just pushed in. When you say you would like to see a picture of the other end,, I'm a bit confused as there is nothing on the other end. I cannot see any sign of pins. The tiny thing that the wires go into measures about 3mm square and about 1mm thick

hello again,,, sorry to be a pain but what I am finding difficult to understand is why the electric on the bike doesn't work when I pedal since the throttle failed.

If it means I can get mobile again I daresay I could manage without the led meter,,,if I did go down that road would the wiring up of one your thumb throttles be easier based on my earlier email

D

Deleted member 4366

I need to see a picture of what's on the end of the cable.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
I need to see a picture of what's on the end of the cable.
sorry,, this is what happens when you reach the age of 70,,, do you mean the controller end,,, thats going to be difficult as the box section it is housed in is full of wires and I haven't got a clue which wires will go to the throttle. Be gentle with me,,,,,,, thanks :)

D

Deleted member 4366

The wires that go to the throttle are red green and blue and yellow together. It should be easy.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
The wires that go to the throttle are red green and blue and yellow together. It should be easy.

Sounds good,,,, so to see if I understood you correctly..... If you supply the throttle and I simply splice the wires coming from my controller..red,blue.green.yellow onto the same colours on your throttle, it should work,,, and simply ignore any other colours on the throttle

D

Deleted member 4366

You can do that, but if you show me the connector on the other end, I can probably make it so that you just plug it in.

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
thank you,,, I'll have ago at it tomorrow but getting a new cable down inside the frame is going to be difficult,,it seems pretty packed .but we can only try..

Hello again,, Sorry I haven't been in touch, I have been inhospital for a little while,,,I think it was down to the stress of not having my bike, its like someone has amputated my legs..Whilst I was in hospital my son had a word with someone he works with who had an electric bike which he was selling as the bike was 36v 6 gears with a throttle he offered to cut the wire to his throttle and connect his throttle to my cable going to the controller. Unfortunately nothing worked, neither the throttle or the power from the peddling so now I am wondering if the throttle dissintegrating damaged the controller... I dont want to buy a new throttle if the problem is something else.The throttle he had had a built in light switch which he did not connect. I really dont know where to go from here other than sell the bike as it is. I really need to get myself active again.....

russell

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2008
Hello again,, Sorry I haven't been in touch, I have been inhospital for a little while,,,I think it was down to the stress of not having my bike, its like someone has amputated my legs..Whilst I was in hospital my son had a word with someone he works with who had an electric bike which he was selling as the bike was 36v 6 gears with a throttle he offered to cut the wire to his throttle and connect his throttle to my cable going to the controller. Unfortunately nothing worked, neither the throttle or the power from the peddling so now I am wondering if the throttle dissintegrating damaged the controller... I dont want to buy a new throttle if the problem is something else.The throttle he had had a built in light switch which he did not connect. I really dont know where to go from here other than sell the bike as it is. I really need to get myself active again.....
I have managed to get the controller out and only hope I can get it all back in..Its just a mass of different cables and connections but I have taken a few pics which I am hoping will help,,, fingers crossed many thanks

Attachments

Advertisers