Oh Asterisk! Agattu! Agutta!

C

Cyclezee

It ahs take me a wook to fund ouit I hafe bean spilling the nime ov the nuw Kalkhoff incorectlie:eek:

Why didn’t some one tell me:mad: Or are you all so polite, Or are u bislexik luke whut I ham:eek:
I’m not the only one though am I Fleccie, unbelievable Flecc is human!:rolleyes:

Jonh

P.S. For everyone except Flecc who would know this fact already, Agattu is an unihabited island in the Aleutian chain. Unihabited by man that is, but heavily populated by sea birds and covered in guano. Just hope the bikes don't get covered in it!

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, you're not the only one, but I don't see anything wrong in me calling it the Kalkhoff Gateau since it's so tasty. :)

I think Kalkhoff Guano is going a bit far though. :(

Agattu, Agatthree, Agattfour, what does it matter. :D

C

Cyclezee

And I thought it was named after an actress from the Railway Children ;). Also considered tasty by many :D
Oh god Ian, I wish you hadn't said that, It's got me thinking about American Werewolf now, not Railway Children. I won't be able to sleep now, but not because I'm scared;) Think I will go and take a shower:D

John

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
:rolleyes: :D I was wondering what 'Agattu' meant, though if that is the origin of the name, thats a bit disappointing and unsatisfactory, so I say call it whatever you like - can't be much worse than a guano-covered island... :rolleyes:

Gateau sounds nice too! :D.

Stuart.

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Behold, Agattu!

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Has M2B published their review yet ?

Chris
I think the printed magazine goes out today. I keep checking for the online version at exacteditions.co.uk but no sign yet.

One bit of news - - we 're going to offer a free A to B subscription with every Kalkhoff bike. You heard it here first!

Chris

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I think the printed magazine goes out today. I keep checking for the online version at exacteditions.co.uk but no sign yet.

One bit of news - - we 're going to offer a free A to B subscription with every Kalkhoff bike. You heard it here first!
Well blow me Tim-I have just paid my subscription( and bought a Kalkhoff):eek:

deesee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Agattu

It's a pain isn't it Chris. I already subscribe to AtoB too AND I've just bought an Agattu. It arrived last Thursday and, what with one thing and another, I haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

I bought it on the strength of Flecc's recommendation - even before he'd actually tested it himself!

Thanks Flecc.

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And I've been caught in a different way. Impatient to see the A to B Kalkhoff review, I added a paid for online subscription. The next day I received the magazine which announced in the editorial that they were giving away the online subscription to all existing subscribers. :(

Luckily it had only cost me peanuts. :)

Last edited:

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008

bought the bike waiting for the sub:eek:

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Peddling

Speaking of spelling, which is sort of how this thread began, why is it that in these forums dedicated to cycling, the word "peddling" seems to occur more often than "pedalling"? (And I do mean in relation to propulsion rather than purveying.)
Maybe it's the fault of the word "pedelec" itself that confusion arises...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Speaking of spelling, which is sort of how this thread began, why is it that in these forums dedicated to cycling, the word "peddling" seems to occur more often than "pedalling"? (And I do mean in relation to propulsion rather than purveying.)
Maybe it's the fault of the word "pedelec" itself that confusion arises...
It's not just in this forum or with e-bikes, bode. I've struggled to get people to spell pedal and pedalling correctly throughout my life, including when in the trade and also previously in this forum. Even where I know with certainty that members have seen the correction, they still insist on the wrong spelling.

Of course in our personal computing age, the reliance on spell checkers is a menace as usual, as so often the incorrect spelling not being corrected because it is correct in another context. We need software designers to produce spell checkers which check the context of the current text as the typing flows, thus able to highlight an incorrect word choice.

It could also partly be due to the original use of peddle as done by pedlars becoming defunct, leaving it free for other use, though the US spelling peddler is used for distributors of illegal drugs both sides of the atlantic, so that should give a clue about it's incorrect use in relation to cycling.

Last edited:

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Or then there's the story of the lady of dubious reputation, who bought a bicycle so she could pedal it all over town...

Let's see a context checker deal with that!

The English language is a real challenge to computers. One of the old examples of difficulty:
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Mary

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
True Mary. :D

Maybe a few false alerts would not be too high a price to pay though.

Advertisers