On-One Mary Handlebars

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
I've searched through the forum and found a few reviews on the above bars from some time ago.
Does anyone still use them and what are you feelings toward them - good and bad.
If anyone has them fitted to an Oxygen MTB, can you fit all the levers etc to the bars without having to over-stretch your fingers or take your hand off the grip to reach all the controls?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
So I have used Mary bars on

A 29er hardtail
A 26er hardtail
a couple of 700c hybrids

All have had either alfine or 10 gear derailleur gear systems and all had a throttle too.

Personally I never had any issue with hand placement for brakes, gears or throttle. They are very comfy bars.

I even used them on a 24 hour off road mtb endurance race. And never once thought I wished I had a different bar (different legs, yes :)

The only negagive is that some light clamp designs are fiddly to get pointing where you want them due to the bend in the bars.

Reactions: JPGiant

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Oh and I do still use them on my daily commuter (only set I now have as I sold the other with the 29ER)

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Thanks Kirstin, very helpful.
I'm now looking at the On-One Mike and OG versions as well, so I'm making a chart with all the dimensions I can find for a comparison against the original Oxygen supplied bars and also a set of On-One Geoff type I acquired - for me they don't have enough rise in them for comfort.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks Kirstin, very helpful.
I'm now looking at the On-One Mike and OG versions as well, so I'm making a chart with all the dimensions I can find for a comparison against the original Oxygen supplied bars and also a set of On-One Geoff type I acquired - for me they don't have enough rise in them for comfort.
You might find a new stem with a different length /rise helps too?

• Agree

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I use them on the hybrid in my avatar replacing straight bars. In regards to forward/rearward placement, hand position is approx the same. However hands are turned in so less stain on wrists. I also find that elbows are slightly closer to the body so allowing them to be flexed. This gives less shock transfer to shoulders and neck. (Which is what I needed - neck arthritis) I also find that I am more able to flex shoulders and arms during a ride so lessening tension buildup.
Downside is that there is only one possible hand position. I tried them with bar ends moved up onto the bend of the bars but just didn't work.
Lights and computer are mounted on a central bar extension.
I did need to extend rear brake cable and deraileur cable.
All in all, glad I got them.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Thanks to all.
Need to confirm differences between Mary and Mike versions now.
Being a 58 Kg skinny wimp with hardly any arm muscles it's preferable to have all the controls easily accessible from the grips. That's the issue with the Geoff version because Hydraulic and LCD cables are being stretched.
I've got a couple of different stems to play with, and now looking into a bar extension.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Geoff's I find are brilliant, the most comfy bars I have used and great for long rides with no numbing or aching to my wrists or hands. You have to be aware of their width/sweep back as brake cables do need extending if you have little slack.

Advertisers