One year on...

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
One year on…and riding my Wisper 905 SE is still one of the most exhilarating things I do.

The experience has been life changing. From being somewhat ill a year ago, I am now quite fit ( I put in a good bit of pedalling)); I have lost 10lbs; I look forward to my commute and acknowledging regulars on the way; I can overtake a number of other bikers which is always pleasurable. I can conquer the rain ( quite bad rain too - thanks to Rohan clothing) and the wind (thanks to the Wisper)

I have achieved things too – taking part in Presteigne, going to the Cycle show for the first time and the Brompton World Championships and I amnow taking much more interest in cycling

One year ago, I had tried cycling to work manually in several different years but gave up each time due to sweaty arrival, effort and some problem roundabouts. Now I arrive at work with no real sweat and already energised to make an impact. Now I cycle all the time to work and I am safer at roundabouts. The Wisper is a serious mode of travelling and in a number of ways it makes parking far easier (and less expensive) than the car.

I am particularly pleased I got a Wisper. It stll delivers and looks good. My honeymoon with it goes on delightfully. Sure there have been some minor problems and those enthusiastic guys at Electric Bike Sales have been great at helping me out. I also feel good that David and Doug at Wisper will do a lot positively both on this forum and otherwise to keep their riders happy. It all keeps me happier than I would have been if I had been with a supplier that ditches brands or becomes acrimonious or one that doesn’t reply to emails.

It is also nice to be aligned with a British design. David listens to suggestions and keeps on improving the Wisper based on the feedback he gets often from this forum and people in this country. I don’t feel left out with the improvements – I just feel I have got a first rate machine which is getting better and better and any feedback is taken seriously.

Maybe there are some gripes that some have, and this forum is a good place for owners to air them, and for Wisper to sort them out, but taking an overview for my needs, I feel I could not have done better. I can echo what a few others have said on the main forum…..I love my Wisper! (Perhaps this is a bit sad and I should go out more – yippee!)

Thanks David – Ride on (and thanks guys at Electric Bike Sales)

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I love my Wisper too

There's really very little I can add to "JohnofCambridge" post above. The 905 kept me pretty busy for the first 250 miles. As with all machine built wheels, the 905's spokes bedded in very quickly, but rarely needing more than a half turn to change a "thunk" into a "ting". Likewise the headraces needed frequent attention.

Now, with 400 miles on the clock, the machine is fully settled in needing no further adjustments, and continues to perform extremely well. The frame design and build gives an excellent taughtness, resulting in good straight line running, but agile enough to be flicked around unexpected obstacles.

The Wisper 905 is of course but one of several 2nd generation, light weight, lithium powered e-bikes available today. The difference of course, is that huge battery fitted to the 905.

Perhaps WEVCO should start doing some merchandising, How about a black sweatshirt with white lettering "Wisper riders do it longer".

Regards to all

Bob

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Congratulations. Nice to hear you've had a year of happy riding and are still enjoying it.

I'm enjoying mine too, although I have to say my grin was bigger in the summer; anyone else finding its really hard work not getting too hot or too cold (or both at the same time!) as the temperature drops?

Regards,

Elephants

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Happy anniversary, John

You've had your Wisper even longer than me. My anniversary is another month away.

I can echo a lot of what you've said. In the last year I've lost a similar amount of weight, feel a lot fitter and got much more into cycling, and my Wisper has been a big help. Nowadays my wife mainly uses it, and it enables us to go on weekend and longer trips we wouldn't otherwise be able to.

Frank

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
Yes , I've lost about a stone since I got the Wisper and still absolutely love it, I tried riding my normal mountain bike the other day and it felt like a piece of junk metal.

So lets raise a glass to the guys a wisper (mines a Pinotage), we've all had a few teething problems but have come out of it still smiling.. :)

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
Yep, still happy with my Wisper.

I had a £1000 mountain bike long before my Wisper and so paying £1200 for a mountain bike with a motor seemed like a good deal to me.

While the Wisper is a heavy bike - thanks to the motor it rides like a -10kg mountain bike. And we've all seen the price of 10kg mountain bikes, so imagine how much a -10kg (helium) bike would cost! :)

umm... that's got me thinking.. I should ask flecc if it's actually possible to make a helium bike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks!!!!!!!

Thanks guys you have just made our day! Comments like this make everything truly worth while.

Thanks for your custom and thanks for working with us.

Very best regards David :D

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I Love My Wisper

Hi Guys
I haven't been on the forum for a while due to cramming in overtime at work for pennies for Christmas

I echo all that's been said and then some!!!!!
I have had my Wisper a little over 9 Months and I swear this was one of my best buys ever!
Then on top of that you get the second to none customer service from Doug and David who go above and beyond and who really care about their bikes and the people that ride them. This is so rare and refreshing in this day and age and what makes the Wisper 905se the complete package that would be impossible to beat!!
The bike itself is super looking, fast and a dream to ride and yes whilst minor teething troubles have occured these have been sorted out promptly by the great guys at Wisper!!

I too love overtaking the other cyclists on my journey to work and whilst they battle against the head winds and struggle up the hills and slopes the Wisper just glides along like a dream and takes everthing in it's stride!!!
I always get comments when I am parked up in town and people seem amazed that it's an electric bike and want one for themselves and of course I always say it's the best one out there because it is!! :cool:

Lpving your Wisper is not sad at all cos I love mine too and wouldn't change it for the world! :D

If there is anyone out there thinking of purchasing an electric bike? Get this one and you won't go far wrong!!!

So yes let's raise a glass to Doug and David at Wisper and the Wisper 905se itself! Long may they continue with their excellent bikes and service!! I think I am the only lady owner of the 905se on the forum but mine's a pint of lager :D

Well Done you guys !!!! :cool:

C

Cyclezee

Mandy,

It is great to hear a really positive report on a bike. The Wisper is undoubtedly a good bike. In particular, the batteries seem to be very good. I don't recall reading of any electrical problems with them.

Hope it gives many years of joy and reliable service.

J:) hn

Thunder

Just Joined
Nov 1, 2008
I can’t comment on the Wisper 905 as I have been riding my City Thunder from Powered and Electric Bikes stockist in Nottingham, UK for three months now and at almost half the price of the 905 I think it is the best value Electric bike on the market.

I have been a very keen cyclist for most of my life cycling up to 8000 miles a year but after a serious accident while at work I am now disabled and unable to walk. My Electric City Thunder has given me a new lease of life.

I have cycled over 1000 miles in less than 3 months with no problems apart from a loose crank. I must also say that the staff at Powered and Electric Bikes stockist in Nottingham, UK in Long Eaton Nottingham have been amazing, I took my bike for its free first service today and was amazed when Hamant the owner of the company called me himself to say that the cycle was all ready for collection on the same day, now that is what I call service.

Because of my disability I got my bike through a scheme called Access To Work. All I had to do was choose my bike and Powered and Electric Bikes stockist in Nottingham, UK and the company that I work for did the rest. It is a great scheme and for anyone with a disability who wants to cycle to work.

Unlike most other Electric cycles that I have seen the City Thunder looks just like a normal light weight bike, and it is. I also find it one of the most comfortable bikes I have ridden. I think this is because of the long wheelbase and the light weight.

I have been very surprised by just how far on a single charge the bike will run for. I have been getting over 27 miles on full throttle and peddle assist at the same time. Using peddle assist mode and switching off the power on the flat or downhill I have cycled over 45 miles and still not run out of power. I think another reason for the amazing performance is because I asked to have the standard chunky tyres changed for City Jet tyres.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Hello Thunder, welcome to the forum.

I can't remember the full story, but the City Thunder was the forerunner of the Wisper 905, but I expect your aware of the connection anyway.

The one thing I love about electric bikes, as you have found out already, their great levelers. I'm darn sure I would never have returned to the freedom of cycling, without that motor to help.

Your disability certainly doesn't stop you from riding long distances, The most I can manage is 35 miles, and a day off afterwards!!.

I've only dealt with Hamant once when I needed some new batteries, he was extremely helpful and the batteries arrived next day.

Enjoy your City Thunder, and welcome aboard the Pedelecs Forum.

Best Wishes

Bob

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
I can’t comment on the Wisper 905 as I have been riding my City Thunder from Powered and Electric Bikes stockist in Nottingham, UK for three months now and at almost half the price of the 905 I think it is the best value Electric bike on the market.

I have been a very keen cyclist for most of my life cycling up to 8000 miles a year but after a serious accident while at work I am now disabled and unable to walk. My Electric City Thunder has given me a new lease of life.

I have cycled over 1000 miles in less than 3 months with no problems apart from a loose crank. I must also say that the staff at Powered and Electric Bikes stockist in Nottingham, UK in Long Eaton Nottingham have been amazing, I took my bike for its free first service today and was amazed when Hamant the owner of the company called me himself to say that the cycle was all ready for collection on the same day, now that is what I call service.

Because of my disability I got my bike through a scheme called Access To Work. All I had to do was choose my bike and Powered and Electric Bikes stockist in Nottingham, UK and the company that I work for did the rest. It is a great scheme and for anyone with a disability who wants to cycle to work.

Unlike most other Electric cycles that I have seen the City Thunder looks just like a normal light weight bike, and it is. I also find it one of the most comfortable bikes I have ridden. I think this is because of the long wheelbase and the light weight.

I have been very surprised by just how far on a single charge the bike will run for. I have been getting over 27 miles on full throttle and peddle assist at the same time. Using peddle assist mode and switching off the power on the flat or downhill I have cycled over 45 miles and still not run out of power. I think another reason for the amazing performance is because I asked to have the standard chunky tyres changed for City Jet tyres.
I know that walking and cycling are two different things, but even so...unable to walk and riding those distances even if motor assisted! Good for you!

Thunder

Just Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Hi thanks for the kind words, it helps me to keep going, I have been quite ill recently, but as I said in my previous post, my electric bike has given me a new lease of life.

The main point to remember is that it is possible to get a new electric bike through the access to work scheme. You can get all the details from your local job centre. I thought they might think it was a bad idea because of my disability, but they were so enthusiastic.

I hope this encourages even more people, if I can get cycling again anyone can.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Thunder
Wekcome to the forum and I am glad you are enjoying your electric biking :)
I like the look of the bike also and one of the better one's I've seen.

I too like you wouldn't have been able to use a normal cycle and after riding a motor scooter for many years I wanted to get back to being able to transport myself around and gain some freedom back and most of all I needed to get to work :)

I too have a disability with my back which is a condition I was apparently born with and the mild to quite painful back ache I lived with turned to major off my feet back ache in March 2000 when I was told my back was 70 years old! somewhat 29 years older than me!! :eek: I was given between 5 and 15 years before it would collapse completely but I just get on with it and want to prove them wrong and remain optimistic, I can walk okay but am unable to stand for more than a couple of minutes. However I am as stubborn as a mule!! lol! Although haven't been so good lately and going to docs tom.

Like you I value getting around and wouldn't be without my Wisper and my freedom. I used to ride scooters for years and gave up on ever doing that again in 2000. But then discovered the "Leccy Bike" when I got back on my feet! lol! I bought a PowaByke in 2004 and had that for 3 years which was okay and done the job but I now have the cherry on the cake with my Wisper, lol!

Well If my destiny rings true eventually I would like the fastest electric chair in town with full throttle control obvously, lol!!!

Advertisers