Help! Onebot S6 pedal assist kicks in while walking.

Jamislike

Just Joined
Dec 2, 2020
Hi all,
I bought a Onebot S6 a few months ago but have recently noticed that when I get off the bike and walk with it pedal assist seems to kick in and it almost drag me away.

I know I should always probably switch it off or go into “gear 0” when off the bike but at times I just want to get off and wheel it a short distance. Or someone else is riding the bike and gets a nasty surprise when they try to wheel it along.

Observing it more closely, I can see while pushing it that the back wheel/chain spins the pedals while walking, so I’m guessing the rotation sensor is telling the bike I am peddling. What is also strange is that when the happens I slam the brake and get it to a standstill, but when I release the brake it tries to go again until I slam the brakes again.

Has anybody noticed this with their Onebot S6 or did I just get unlucky?

I have emailed Onebot, but got no response.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
From the sounds of it there is a mechanical issue causing the PAS to activate, no real problem electronically. One needs to find out why the freewheel or freehub is sticking causing the initial problem and causing the chain to rotate.

When it occurs and the brake is applied, likely you are releasing the brake to soon. Not all controller response are instant and some have considerable more delay then others to shut off. The KT I use is pretty much instant with no delay, in all there is little wrong with the electronics and any issue is minor down to the programming/software.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi all,
I bought a Onebot S6 a few months ago but have recently noticed that when I get off the bike and walk with it pedal assist seems to kick in and it almost drag me away.

I know I should always probably switch it off or go into “gear 0” when off the bike but at times I just want to get off and wheel it a short distance. Or someone else is riding the bike and gets a nasty surprise when they try to wheel it along.

Observing it more closely, I can see while pushing it that the back wheel/chain spins the pedals while walking, so I’m guessing the rotation sensor is telling the bike I am peddling. What is also strange is that when the happens I slam the brake and get it to a standstill, but when I release the brake it tries to go again until I slam the brakes again.

Has anybody noticed this with their Onebot S6 or did I just get unlucky?

I have emailed Onebot, but got no response.
It's a common problem on bikes like that. The freewheel at the back is not as free as it should be. You need to give it a good clean, especially between it and the motor, which means getting something into the gap and clearing out any debris. Once cleaned, you need to oil it down the back and in the side where the axle comes through. Once it runs freely again, your problem will go away.

Another solution is to keep a bungee on the bike. Loop one end around the seatpost and hook it to itself, then hook the other end onto a pedal to stop it rotating when you push the bike.

Advertisers