Optibike 2009

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
What an extraordinary piece of design! I suppose you'd need a scooter licence to ride it on the road, along with type approval, insurance etc. Still, it's nice to see some progressive thinking in the e-bike world, this along with machines such as the forthcomming Wisper 906, make the future seem that bit brighter :).

It does somewhat blur the disinction between bicycle and motor bike though, but maybe this is what's required to bring the concept to a wider market, and get some of the lardies out of their cars :D .

I'm intrigued about the motorised BB, as to how it provides asistance, via cadence or torque, and if it's possible to use it with throttle control, i.e. if the mechanism alows the pedals to freewheel.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This very overpriced and overhyped "bike" has been posted about many times, and mostly gets the thumbs down in here. It's only really useful in it's very overpowered forms like 800watts so is impractical since it would be very illegal in most of the world, as it is in most US states.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
It seems to be an electric scooter rather than an electrically assisted bike - so potentially an interesting development but off topic for this forum!

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Well pardon me for wanting to come to my own conclusions :D, as a free thinking individual, living in a mostly free society....etc etc. :)

As I've said before, I believe that any evolution/abbaration in the field deserves attention, as it encourages innovation, and hopefuly a culture of excellence. Also, I feel that to throw such generalised judgements about is to deny the importance of the individuals own critertia. Personally, I don't care what brings someone the e-biking, be it looking cool, gadget fascination, eco awareness, whatever, the point is that they end up on a bike ;) .

Back OT, I agree it costs a horrendous amount of money, as to over hyped - I've never heard of it before (but maybe I should pay more attention), and it's the concept I find interesting, rather than the specific item.

Last edited:

Countrycyclist

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2009
Altrincham
It seems to be an electric scooter rather than an electrically assisted bike - so potentially an interesting development but off topic for this forum!
Sorry I'm a newbie - hadn't realised the Optibike would be "off-topic" for this forum. I thought any electric bike could be discussed here, as you could if you nipped down to the pub.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Interestingly you don't need a scooter licence to ride an Optibike or insurance. you might need a lottery win to buy one however!
Then how does it work with the 15.5mph asisted speed limit, and the 250w power limitaion?

Sorry I'm a newbie - hadn't realised the Optibike would be "off-topic" for this forum. I thought any electric bike could be discussed here, as you could if you nipped down to the pub.
As it's technicaly still a pedelec, it gets my vote as a subject for discussion.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, it's not off topic and as I said, it's been discussed before. Of course everyone is fully entitled to their opinion, but so am I and I've expressed it but don't expect everyone to agree.

Having a reduced power mode doesn't make it legal, it still doesn't meet EU law, UK law, or most laws in other countries. They specify the maximum power and make no mention of allowing reduced power modes.

Enter Optibike in our search facility and you'll get 28 threads where it crops up, including some where it's the subject of the thread. The consensus opinion isn't in favour, a minority liking it which is their right of course.

I'm happy with anything that gets people using personal electric transport, but I prefer the term bicycle to be reserved for when it's justified.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Sorry, by off topic I didn't mean to suggest you shouldn't discuss it, just that, from a quick look, I felt it was more of a scooter than a bike. However, people have interesting things to say about the whole range of electric vehicles and I recall threads on the Vectris and Toyota Prius to name a couple.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I recall threads on the Vectris and Toyota Prius to name a couple.
Sadly Vectrix are now bankrupt and winding up operations, they say through disappointing sales, but they've had some damaging technical problems as well which would not have helped.

Toyota are at long last turning the Prius into a hybrid, which it has never been in the past, having only one power source, petrol.

They're introducing mains pre-charging with a larger battery, so giving it two fuel sources and no longer the subject of critical comments from the likes of me!

Sir_Bob

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2009
my friend Tom has a privius. it is a very nice looking car indeed. isnt it great that technology is moving this way:eek: who would have thought that you would have electric cars 20 years ago:eek: i have seen the other one the gwhizz and it is an awful car it looks like a roller skate:mad: why Anyone would want to drive one of those is a joke:rolleyes:

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
Sadly Vectrix are now bankrupt and winding up operations, they say through disappointing sales, but they've had some damaging technical problems as well which would not have helped.

Toyota are at long last turning the Prius into a hybrid, which it has never been in the past, having only one power source, petrol.

They're introducing mains pre-charging with a larger battery, so giving it two fuel sources and no longer the subject of critical comments from the likes of me!
oh thats such a shame about Vectrix i did see my self on one of them one day

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Damn ! The inventor sounds like he's never heard of the Panasonic-like crank motors :confused: ...I like the USA flag stitched on his top too :rolleyes:

YouTube - How the Optibike MBB works

The "best" this, the "best" that ... grrrr, nonsense :mad:

YouTube - Why Optibike is the best
What irritating videos, the YouTube comments all seem to agree.
Jim Turner said:
It has up to nine times the range of other electric bikes
Does it now Jim, so why not tell us what the capacity of the battery or the range of the bike is? How about naming a bike that has 1/9 of the range then.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does it now Jim, so why not tell us what the capacity of the battery or the range of the bike is? How about naming a bike that has 1/9 of the range then.
Answering for Jim, it's the huge quantity of extra hype that makes all the difference.

Only in the USA. :D