oxygen off road

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i know that my oxygen e mate mtb is not in the same league as the serious off road crank drive bikes .
Especially as far as demanding off road trails go.
but i recently put the off road tyres it came with back on and tried some smoothish non damaging trails.
until recently i have only really used it on the road.
well what can i say !
it climbs up hills that are impossible on my non elect mountain bike with ease.
all this from a hub motor that are not meant to be as good as crank drives at steep hill climbing.
i can,t imagine what the likes of ktm haibike etc must be like at this.
so has anyone done a direct comparison ?
how much better are they ?
i realise for serious off roading my bike isn,t suitable but i had not realised how well it climbed.

Reactions: EddiePJ

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
that is very true eddie.
this new venture off road on an e bike is far more fun than i thought it would be .
the only thing is that being used to mountain biking i have to restrict the use of my bike so as not to damage it.
this is fine at the moment but where will it end up? :)
it got me wondering about the hill climbing abilities of the more serious bikes especially that i have now learned from this site how good they are at handling the rough stuff

Reactions: EddiePJ

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Might even be better stevieb! I have an Oxygen Emate city that was much more capable than it had any right to be off road although it was too high geared for difficult hill climbs, though your Oxygen Mountain bike has a more powerful motor and more appropriate gearing.

I now also have a yamaha crank drive haibike that can go pretty much anywhere you foolishly decide to go off road and is a truly tenacious climber, however the Oxygen bike might be just as good and I seriously considered one.

I do like value for money and the Oxygen is cheaper than my haibike and can be de-restricted at the controller if you so decided to do so without the need to buy a dongle.

One definite advantage of a hub motored bike is that it puts much less strain on the chain, chain ring, and cassette, indeed it reduces the load to this area rather than increasing it.

However it adds strain to the rear wheel and if the wheel is not strong enough or you are unlucky or load it too highly spokes can brake and as the motor resides in the back wheel this is a much bigger job to fix than a crank drive bike.

As Eddie said the best thing is that you are out there riding the bike and having fun. I think you will find that as you gain confidence and try more difficult tracks the bike will cope just fine! Indeed you might find that the bike copes with anything you throw at it!

Reactions: trex

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks george,
yes the spokes can require regular attention with my spoke key but they are not stretching just coming loose .
a small dab of threadlock seems to work well.

Advertisers