Pedal problems

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
A few weeks after getting my ebike I ended up with phlebitis. If you haven't heard of that its when you bust a vein. In simple terms, phlebitis is when a blood clot blocks a vein close to the surface of your skin. Phlebitis causes pain and inflammation but is not as risky as deep vein thrombosis. A week later I had another one different vein same shin. I realised I cracked my shins on the bear trap type pedals fitted, mainly when going through the bloody pinch gates on the Trans Pennine Trail and National Cycle Trail. I tried football shin guards but found them too restrictive. Today I went into Evans in Sheffield and asked for some pedals without sharp pointy bits and they ended up sending me to their workshop to rummage through their free peddle bin. I got some cheap Giant city pedals FOC and the guy said come back and get some more when the bearings wear out. Has anyone else had a similar problem or am I just a fat clumsy oaf? Do pedal bearings really wear out? Mine never did as a kid in the sixties and seventies.

https://tinyurl.com/ycfln7p4

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
If you mean same problem as in clouting my shins - then yes I do every so often. Never had bearings wear out. My current pedals are some from Halfrauds that have micro generators in them and flashing led's. Attract a lot of attention, even in daylight. They were around £14 IIRC and have the old fashioned block type footrest bit, so they hurt a bit less.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks Ben, they sound better than what I've been given. I bought the correct pedal spanner but can't remove the originals and I don't want to use brute force. I think I'll have to go round to my son's as he's a better mechanic than me.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
No, yes and yes :p
But seriously bearings will fail eventually and yes in the past I've bashed my shins plenty.
for years now I only ride in cheap fell running shoes with spikey soles, my feet never slip off the pedals ;) grippy shoes are better than grippy pedals (IMO) :cool:

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Hi Jon. I have a new bike with a cheaper pair of pedals on that are not very pointy. When I get around to putting the pointy Nukeproof ones on instead, you'd be very welcome to have the other ones. I'm also in Sheffield...

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks Ben, they sound better than what I've been given. I bought the correct pedal spanner but can't remove the originals and I don't want to use brute force. I think I'll have to go round to my son's as he's a better mechanic than me.
Don't forget ones a left hand thread. Can't remember which one - it's been a while !

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
RH pedal = RH thread (Anti-clockwise to undo)
LH pedal = LH thread (Clockwise to undo)
Most pedals have an L and an R stamped on the spindle flats where you put the spanner.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks guys I’ll have another go when I get back from my hols.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
4E5E5369-C9D6-4B5A-8A03-50972181E8C7.jpeg Love my pins
I feel your pain thou
I think we have all had an issue with our shins and pedals meeting :(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D
Reactions: Fat Rat

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Update, new pedals easily installed when you realise how its done. Thanks everyone for advice etc. I know now where I was going wrong and feel a bit of a fool. Both came undone easily, all I did is put my foot on the pedal that would give me forward movement and pull in the opposite direction with the spanner. Sorted.

Reactions: Fat Rat

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
Well done. 'feel a bit of a fool', don't be, we have all been there either in missing the technique, breaking someothing or seeking advice to avoid the chance of breaking something. Did you pop any copper grease on the threads as I find this helps when you come to service or replace the pedals?

John

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi John,

I just sprayed the threads with white silicone grease before assembly.

Advertisers