Pedals

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
Please tell me how I know the size of the pedals on my bike, I have a new bike and the pedals have raised metal spikes and I want something a bit smoother less grippy but want to know if I buy something from ebay will they fit? thanks

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Usually they are 9/16th threads, with the left pedal having a left hand thread.

Let us know the bike, and post a pic. Someone will confirm.

My money's on 9/16th.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Yes, 9/16 or metric equivalent 14mm - standard bike pedal size.

You will need a spanner to remove the old pedals and fit the new ones.

Hardly worth buying one for a single job.

Might be just as easy to go to a bike shop and pick some pedals from there, which they ought to fit for you.

Reactions: Scott clarke

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Please tell me how I know the size of the pedals on my bike, I have a new bike and the pedals have raised metal spikes and I want something a bit smoother less grippy but want to know if I buy something from ebay will they fit? thanks
I'm a bit worried you want something less grippy?
If your foot slips off the pedal you can hurt yourself, especially if it goes forward and the pedal then hits the back of the leg.
Normally a good grip is recommended. Taking your feet off the pedals is easy, I hope?

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I'm a bit worried you want something less grippy?
If your foot slips off the pedal you can hurt yourself, especially if it goes forward and the pedal then hits the back of the leg.
Normally a good grip is recommended. Taking your feet off the pedals is easy, I hope?
I found when I tried the bike my feet stuck so much I nearly came off when trying to dismount, I have arthritic knees which makes me less able, I've ordered some rubber tread ones called 'the oxford' an older style which I had on my normal bike untill going to electric. I get worried about not being able to get off quickly, and am more likely to have an accident or whack my legs with these pedals, but thanks for the concern, the new ones do have non slip[ surfaces just don't have the raised metal teeth. I'm a lot more confident about riding a bike than I used to be having not used one for years, I did come off my first electric bike though, we were going around Rutland and came to a sharp downhill and I couldn't get off quickly enough when I stopped sharp and ended up in a heap with the bike on top of me, it was to heavy for me to lift, I then went over to a small wheeled one which turned out to make me feel 'wobbly' on some of our tracks/paths so have gone back to a big wheeled but a 24in instead of 26, because I can't move as quick as I'd like I don't have the confidence anymore but I'll get there either that or stop cycling. We only got the bike on Sunday and the weather has been to bad to use it however it looks better today so I might try it to the shops, it takes me a while to gather the courage to try a new one.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Cage pedals - as fitted to Ann's bike - can be surprisingly grippy.

I nearly toppled off my Brompton a couple of times because one foot didn't want to lift off a pedal when I came to rest.

The type of sole on my shoe will also have had something to do with it.

Advertisers