Peddles advise

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I decided to buy new peddles from Halfords a few weeks ago and tried to fit them at weekend but one was seized up.
I took back to Halfords right on closing and swapped (cost £1.60) don't ask! Lads couldn't swap only refund and I had to pay ticket price Vs original online discount price.. Whatever. Just give me the peddles I thought.

Anyway. One has started to seize up while riding today and making a grinding noise. I can't see how to crack open to grease up. End cap is pressed on alloy by looks of it.
Can't be bothered to take back so need a new set. Any recommendations? Might go to my local bike shop as I bet the guy would fit them for me while I wait.
Just not sure how much I should spend or what to look for? Just don't want £14 junk again. Guess I need to spend a bit more although some nice ones on Amazon for £15 but I'm unsure?
Commuting on MTB so don't want spikes.
Thoughts

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Titanium Alex

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2023
I'm a bit fan of superstar evo nano pedals

Come with 2 sizes of removable spikes which you can leave off

On 50% off till end of July. British made in Sheffield, quality engineering. Mine are 5 years old and run as good as new

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
New or secondhand proper Shimano from eBay. Probably less than £20, great build quality, last forever.

Search for 'shimano flat pedal' and things like this come up, and when you feel the silky smooth bearings you know you are dealing with quality.

Reactions: Wayners

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I decided to buy new peddles from Halfords a few weeks ago and tried to fit them at weekend but one was seized up.
I took back to Halfords right on closing and swapped (cost £1.60) don't ask! Lads couldn't swap only refund and I had to pay ticket price Vs original online discount price.. Whatever. Just give me the peddles I thought.

Anyway. One has started to seize up while riding today and making a grinding noise. I can't see how to crack open to grease up. End cap is pressed on alloy by looks of it.
Can't be bothered to take back so need a new set. Any recommendations? Might go to my local bike shop as I bet the guy would fit them for me while I wait.
Just not sure how much I should spend or what to look for? Just don't want £14 junk again. Guess I need to spend a bit more although some nice ones on Amazon for £15 but I'm unsure?
Commuting on MTB so don't want spikes.
Thoughts
Plenty of peddles on Ebay for under £20. If you don't like spikes...and I don't when they bite! just file them rounded at the points then you still have a bit of grip when it's wet.

Reactions: Wayners

Related Articles

Advertisers