Phylion XH259-10J battery testing and replacement source?

pedalboy

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2018
Hi all, I have recently bought a Brompton with an electric conversion using this battery. I feel it is not performing as it should. How can I test it and where is the best source for a new one? There is one on Amazon but it is £300. Is there another cheaper option? It has a 2 slot connection. Is it possible to open it up and replace the cells? Any help appreciated = thanks!

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
What makes you feel it is not performing correctly? Is it 24v or 36v? If you own a digital multimeter, try measuring the voltage after charging. This will give an idea of the health of the battery. Voltage should be around 29.4v or 42v depending which you have. Cells can be replaced, but not really a DIY job, unless you have a battery welder. Give this guy, Jimmy, a call for a price for re-celling your pack, well respected here.
https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/
I think these packs would replace what you have, although you would have to change the mounting and connect it. Go for the higher capacity ones as they have better quality cells in them.
https://www.yosepower.com/en/product/Frog-Electric-Bicycle-Battery-LG-Cell-24V10.4Ah/16Ah/-36V10.4Ah/12.8Ah-Lithium-ion-E-bike-Battery-77.html

pedalboy

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2018
That's great info - thanks! My battery measures 29.7 volts but a call to Jimmy just now tells me that is no real indication of the condition of the battery. He says he will do a proper test and will not replace cells if not necessary. Circa £200 or £250 for the higher output, better quality cells.
Thanks also for the link to the German source of replacement pack, though my inclination is to go for a check on what I've already got and Jimmy to replace as he recommends.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
My battery measures 29.7 volts but a call to Jimmy just now tells me that is no real indication of the condition of the battery.
No, I agree, but it's a starting point if you are trying to diagnose problems yourself. Well worth the return postage cost for Jimmy to have a proper look at it and you can trust him not to try and sell you something you don't need.

pedalboy

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2018
Yes, I'll do that. I got the impression he was trustworthy (but maybe because he told me :) Good to have your confirmation. Thanks again for your kind help.

Advertisers