Pinnacle Mercury Fault

supra3turbo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 5, 2022
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and new to electric bikes.

I was given a Pinnacle Mercury E bike which worked fine the first time i used it, the next time i came to use it the little power up and down thing on the handlebar stopped working but the bike still worked electrically while peddling, then it stopped working all together.

I have replaced the Bafang ESC inside it, and it still doesent work, the only other thing i can immagine is the little handlebar controller with the power button and the battery power up and down buttons on it.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, before i go spending any more on it.

Thanks - Joe

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Joe,
Gonna need some photo's. One of the whole bike. One of the controller and the motor with any markings on them. One of the handlebar display. That should get us started.

supra3turbo

Aug 5, 2022
Hi There,

Here are the pictures i just took, its a new controller with a wire going to the 350w hub, a wire going to the hanndle bar controller, and another wire which i presume is a pedal/speed sensor wire or something.

Thanks - Joe

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pinnacle is an Evans brand but doubt they will know much about it except to charge and change parts out.
The pair of Red/Black wiring are likely brake sensors or the like, any pedal speed sensor whoul be 3 wires. The hub will have an internal speed sensor indicated at the motor connector by 9 pins.
Is there a cable exiting from the bottom bracket, if so it is likely a torque sensor bike.

If not I would be inclined to rip everything out and buy a KT controller kit with a nice lcd display for about £100 and have something where generic parts are easier to buy.

Last edited:

supra3turbo

Aug 5, 2022
Ah i see, well i will try and get a replacement handlebar controller as that can only be the other thing thats causing it not to switch on, other than that I will replace the lot, just dont see why its not working all of a sudden its got to be the handlebar thing, the motor was still working whenn cycling for that one trip then it must have auto switched off then ive never got it to come back on because the handlebar thing is broken.

Thanks - Joe

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The handlebar display and the controller have to be a matched pair in order to communicate to each other. So, they are usually bought as a pair to ensure this is so.
Lets get the terminology straight so as to avoid confusion. Your second photo is the display. Your 4th photo is the controller.

Have you tested for voltages anywhere? What is the measured battery voltage fully charged? Are you getting that voltage at the controller?
Just buying parts on assumption can get very expensive and time consuming.
If you want to go that route then Nealh's suggestion of the KT kit is probably the most cost effective. He's got huge experience with those and will be able to help throughout.

supra3turbo

Aug 5, 2022
In all honesty, i haven't tested for voltages as my multimeter i have here packed up repairing a 550w corsair PSU, forgot to swap the leads back after testing amp draw on my motorbike and blew it..... stupid mistake but i will go to the unit today and get my multi meter, i bought the exact same controller that was on the bike, and next i will replace the display on the handlebar, i dont have a spare £100 at the moment to replace the lot or i would do that just for convenience.

I will get my other multimeter today from the unit (im installing a dual charge kit and solar on a VW transporter) but thats nearly finished and i will test what voltages i have at the battery and controller.

thanks all - Joe

supra3turbo

Aug 5, 2022
Hi all,

I have got round to looking at this electric bike again and have decided to get a speed controller and handlebar controller as a kit, is there one you could link me too that has the same motor connections, its 36v
and a 350w motor.

Thanks - Joe

Attachments

supra3turbo

Aug 5, 2022
I'd plug in the motor properly before spending any money.
The motor is plugged in properly, i went out on it one day and it was working perfectly, the next time i went to ride it it wouldn't switch on on the handlebar, i replaced the speed controller and it still wouldnt work, if i could just get a handlebar controller i would do, but i dont know the protocol or whatever it uses for this speed controller, its a little round green plug, so i thought if i get both together as a replacement kit, it will work :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As mentioned and it looks to me as if the motor connection will push together another 2 or 3mm, the slightly embossed raised line is clearly visible. When pushed in properly it shouldn't be visible.

supra3turbo

Aug 5, 2022
Even if that was the case which i dont think it is ive tried everything, why would that stop it turning on and lighting up and let you change the speed, on both esc's fitted to the bike or not, it just stopped working one day, wouldnt turn on or light up with a fully charged battery, no pedal detection or electric assist at all, just a 40kg bicycle with no power, thats the only reason i swapped the speed controller unit but it still woulnt switch on at all

Reactions: saneagle

supra3turbo

Aug 5, 2022
It still dosent work, ive tried everything now, if someone can link me to a kit without the motor for around £100 that would be great just a speed controller and handlebar thing then i can get using it again, shame having £800 sat here doing nothing :)

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Oops. If the bike is left unused for more than 5-7 days the battery goes to sleep. You need to press the LED on the battery for 10 seconds or so to bring it back to life or plug it in to the charger for 15-30 minutes. Thought I’d posted that when I had the same problem.

Mr y

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2023
Hello, I also have one of these bikes there is nothing wrong with it!
All you need to do is the following, make sure that there is power in the
Battery. Secondly hold the button at the top of the battery for approx
10 seconds. Battery will indicate power status ie, red green or blue. Go to
The handle bar controller do the same method here. Lights will illuminate.
Do this every 3/4 days and you will not have this problem. The battery goes
To sleep when the bike is not used for long periods. Please also note the battery
On these bikes tends not to lock flush with the frame. To fix this you press the
Battery at the top next to the battery status light very firmly and remove the
Key that locks the battery in place failure to do this will result in loosing the key
And the battery not being flush to the frame, use a small amount of oil in the lock.
Don't ride with the key in the lock!

Advertisers