Planetary Gears

Eglwyseg

Pedelecer
May 25, 2017
Malpas
Sometime ago I reported my ebike motor making a scrunching noise and got about four or five different answers as to what was wrong.

Nothing really worked for me until I decided to bite the bullet and open up the motor. This is one of the planetary gears I found, well chewed in parts you will agree.

I was able to get a set of three with new circlips via eBay for less than a fiver but meant waiting a week as they came from China.

For those wondering if they ought do this job themselves then I would recommend they do it! Watch a video on YouTube if it will give you more confidence but essentially the job is really, easy peasy as long as you have some basic manual skills. You will need a circlip pliers but again, about three quid from eBay.

The only question I have? On putting in new gears do we grease them or not as the gears are made of nylon and run against steel. The original gears didn't appear to have any lubrication but that might be why they wore away?

I personally couldn't see any harm in greasing them so lubricated with a thin silicone grease.

The motor is now very quiet indeed even more so than when I first bought it.

Reactions: awol and Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Grease yes, lithium based non petroleum based is good. Slap plenty in there for lubing and quieter,smother running.

Advertisers