Portable Soldering Iron

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Here's one for the soldering people/diy battery builders.

I was watching a video on soldering xt90 connectors and the guy happened to pickup a soldering iron called a TS100 and mentioned it far beat's conventional irons because it uses a new 'direct tip' technology. After watching a few video's on it I found out it heats up in seconds and can also be powered by lipo batteries which makes it really portable and I can solder up all dangerous things battery related or car related outside.
So I found a cheaper version called an SH72 which works in the same way but without the fancy oled display, don't know if it's as good as the TS100 though.

I've bought a few things from NovelLife on ALiExpress and alway's get really quick delivery.

This was the guy I was watching about it.

To find out how quick this get's up to max 430deg temp I hooked up a watt meter and it took 30 seconds until power was down to 0.25a which holds it at the set temp.

Soldering Iron.jpg

The only problem for me being pretty novice is you can set the temperature from 200-430 deg so how do I know what temp to set for whatever I'm soldering?

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The only problem for me being pretty novice is you can set the temperature from 200-430 deg so how do I know what temp to set for whatever I'm soldering?[/SIZE]
For 40/60 tin lead solder, 270deg for small and normal joints. For big joints, like battery connections, turn it up another 100deg to store a bit of extra heat in the tip.

Lead-free solder requires higher temperatures, but IMHO is best avoided

• Informative
Reactions: awol

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
First job outside with the portable soldering iron was to seperate a good lipo cell from a dead one. One thing I learned was it's not quite hot enough for desoldering the 10swg wire and I ended up cutting that off. This dead cell was puffed up earlier and before I throw the dead cell in the bin I checked the mv and it is showing -11.6 and increasing. How can it be minus and how do I ensure it's absolutely dead and safe to throw in the bin.
IMAG1204.jpg

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Your pointer is set to 200M resistance. Woops!
Thankyou for that, I really do need a course in electronics, I thought all that section on the meter was DC volts from 600vdc down to millivolts and the resistance was the k section below it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nope, only the first three are DC volts 600, 200 & 20v.

• :D
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
View attachment 37439

that thing you are using is for tiny pcb work and you should spot weld batts anyway as the less heat the better for the cells ;)
The tip in that picture reminded me of an old rusty solder iron I had in the garage and was going to throw it years ago, it's 65w. I de-rusted it and cleaned the tip after watching videos online and it works spot on so I can use it in the future with that thick wire.
IMAG.jpg

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Aldi are doing a portable butane soldering iron at the moment. £12.99 i think.

• Informative
Reactions: awol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a butane portable one but soon when back to an electric one.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I bought a cheap soldering iron years back (for a possible computer repair) but never used it or ever actually soldered. My late Dad used to solder occasionally at home (He was a BR Locomotive Fitter).
Is it easy to do? Feels it would be a gamble to try it on a serious repair without practice , but what can I practice on?

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Thankyou for that, I really do need a course in electronics, I thought all that section on the meter was DC volts from 600vdc down to millivolts and the resistance was the k section below it.
There are five voltage ranges to select on that multimeter, 200mv - 600v. You have it set on 200mv in your photo, note the indent on the switch pointing to the millivolts scale.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I bought a cheap soldering iron years back (for a possible computer repair) but never used it or ever actually soldered. My late Dad used to solder occasionally at home (He was a BR Locomotive Fitter).
Is it easy to do? Feels it would be a gamble to try it on a serious repair without practice , but what can I practice on?
Practise on any old bits of wire, tinning the ends and soldering them together, and practise tinning the ends of any old dead 18650 cells. I watched this the other day and found it helpful.

DougDo

Just Joined
Oct 22, 2020
My electric soldering gun is also cheap but works well for me. I bought it from imeshbean.com. Its temperature range is 200-450°C, and power is 60W.

Advertisers