Powabyke Euro to MTB conversation

Lux1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2018
I’ve removed the hub from an old powabyke, I’ve replaced the motor brushes and replaced the grease. The motor runs very nicely. I’m planning on rebuilding the motor to fit into a 26” wheel, as it is currently in a 24” wheel.

I’m currently running it from two 18v 4ah lithium batteries in series. It works very well, it also has no controller at the moment.

I have a few questions, firstly I can run the bike without pedalling. As the original motor is predates the change in law, can I get away with this? I’ve removed it from the original bike as the bike was almost 40 kilos!

I’m told that my 36v 4ah lithium battery is equal in performance to 3 x 12v 8ah SLAs at a fraction of the weight. Is this correct?

Finally can I run the system without a controller, - the motor is brushed so it’s not really required. But I don’t want to be breaking the (UK) law.

I’m find it easier to start pedalling and then switch the motor on.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your current use is illegal no matter who, what, how or why. It has to meet current reg's so requires pas which mean you will need a brushed controller that has pas connection. Controllers also protect the batteries by drawing a max load, currently your motor can draw what it likes form the battery which may be detrimental to the battery.

Related Articles

Advertisers