Powabyke Questions

Kevin Smith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2014
Hi
I've just this evening brought two old Powabykes off ebay as a pair for £175, just to see how we get on with electric bikes, and how much we actually use them, before I make a bigger investment. I've been testing them out tonight, so a couple of questions about what they might be, and a couple of things I've found.
Both look like the euro design, and both ride well, but need a bit of TLC. One is rear drive, red with a single gear and a band brake, and has a throttle and pedal assist.
  • Does anyone know what model this is, and what age it might be?
The second is black, with 21 speeds and has a front drive motor.
  • What age/model might this be?
  • It only has a throttle, not pedal assist as well - is that right?
  • The throttle always picks up, but sometimes a delay, perhaps every 5th sharp opening if you snap it open - I've sprayed electrical contact spray and it seemed better, but is there any other simple thing to look at?
The only real niggle with both is I don't have the keys to remove the battery box, only ignition keys. The batteries seem fine but I'll want to take it off eventually, does anyone know a way, or where I could take them to get that sorted?
Thanks

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Hi Kevin just seen your post, I have a Powabyke the same as your front drive one, had it for approx 5 years wasn't new when I bought it guess it was roughly 5 years old, they were sold for a few years after the X6 was introduced so best guess is between 5 to 10 years old. The rear wheel drive was the fore runner to the front wheel drive so my best estimate is 10 years old. Normally the ignition key will release the battery lock, I will have a look at my bike to see if I can find a way to get the battery out, not the most exciting bike but I keep mine as a spare and it has never let me down. John

Kevin Smith

Oct 17, 2014
Thanks John, much appreciated
They've moved on a bit now. I had to replace all cables and degrease everything, so we now have properly adjusted, and working brakes and gears. The throttle seems cured with proper electrical contact cleaner, and we did what must have been their first ride in years on Sunday afternoon - about 15 miles, which we got around fine and really enjoyed (with a quick pub stop, a big advantage over the car!) It's surprising how many people showed an interest in them, even when we stopped at a local shop! Only isues now are that:
  • I found mine has a crank sensor thats had the wiring cut, so will try and get one of those, but will need to know how/where to wire it in if anyone can give me an idea
  • My batteries were still showing quite full at the end of the ride (4 lights), but definately lost some power on any slight climbs after 4 or 5 miles, but remained fine on the flats - I do'nt know if this is a sign of failing batteries, or if they might recover after a few charge cycles, or am I best to replace them
Any thoughts very welcome
Thanks

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
probably dying batteries and in need of replacement due to age. It was probably easier to get rid of the bike that bash it to pieces to replace the battery (from the previous owners perspective.)

Kevin Smith

Oct 17, 2014
Thanks. I'm going to a locksmith to sort that. I remembered theres one in town who will open stuff and supply keys to fit the original lock - he did a pair of motorcycle panniers for me once when I lost the keys, I think it was about £20 When that's sorted I'll get batteries for mine
I've found the crank sensors not been available since 2008! - so if anyone knows of a spares supplier who does new or used parts, that would be great
Thanks

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Hi Kevin I have a crank sensor with wires and plug from a powabyke shopper which looks the same as the one on my euro you can have it for free pm me your address. John

2014-12-01 18.22.38.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin Smith

Oct 17, 2014
Many thanks John, I shall let you know how I get on.
I managed to get the battery cases off as well without damaging them, so now it's a case of fitting a couple of new cam locks (which I've got) to lock the batteries on, and for just under £400 I'll have a couple of well set up and useable bikes, (about £500 if the batteries do need replacing any time soon). I'm really pleased with that as the consumables will all be good. Things I've done to make them easy to use and hopefully reliable are:
  • All new gear and brake cables - inners and outers
  • Slime tubes
  • Mine needed tyres and a chain
  • Brake blocks
  • Centre stands - both bikes standard stands were awkward to use/not that good
  • Riased handlebars on mine
  • Mudflaps for the front wheels

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
I have a few bits and bobs if you need something, don't hesitate to ask if I have it it's yours. John

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Hi Kevin, I bought one of the first Euro Powerbykes in 2000.At that time the controller was a separate box on the handlebars with a red push button to change between 'must pedal all the time' (Euro rules!) and a nicer 'will go anytime' The pedal or crank sensor is to give the motor an easier life by not allowing power to reach it until the bike is doing some 2-3mph.It does mean that you are stuck with using old cup and cone BB as there is a circular magnet glued to the inside bottom of the BB frame. So sealed BB is out unless you ignore the sensor and just make sure you are moving.I am on my third set of batteries in 15 years at around £67 from Ebay. My battery box was all soldered within but later models had push on fittings which make changing batteries easier.Since I use mine on local trails the battery box was well padded with bits from a thin camping mat..the original was cardboard! The tyres certainly last... over 7K and with all that weight too. Have fun on yours.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Many thanks John, I shall let you know how I get on.
I managed to get the battery cases off as well without damaging them, so now it's a case of fitting a couple of new cam locks (which I've got) to lock the batteries on, and for just under £400 I'll have a couple of well set up and useable bikes, (about £500 if the batteries do need replacing any time soon). I'm really pleased with that as the consumables will all be good. Things I've done to make them easy to use and hopefully reliable are:
  • All new gear and brake cables - inners and outers
  • Slime tubes
  • Mine needed tyres and a chain
  • Brake blocks
  • Centre stands - both bikes standard stands were awkward to use/not that good
  • Riased handlebars on mine
  • Mudflaps for the front wheels
Kevin
£100 for batteries?
I assume sealed lead acid?(SLA) If so then when it's time to replace go lithium
They are lighter and have more usable power. Unfortunately they cost more upfront but should outlast several sets of SLA.

Kevin Smith

Oct 17, 2014
Thanks for the replies guys. Things have moved on since my last posts. I brought another one of ebay for £80 that works, as it had new batteries, so got a spare battery pack and a full set of spares, and I can take the motor to bits just to satisfy my curiosity about how it works etc. and hopefully put it back together still working. More importantly my wife loves them, and we've now done several trips to local shops and more importantly pubs, where we would have used the car (shops), or not gone (pubs!). One shopping run saw us bring back £60 of grocery shopping (about 6 or 7 heavy bags), which we would never have managed/wanted to manage on our normal bikes. The weight of the bike for my 5' wife is an issue only when she has to lift it or manage it through a restriction like the narrowings on cycle paths, so she can't use it for work which she does on her normal bike occasionally, (as I would'nt be with her to do that) unless she goes in traffic. The weight would be an issue for a novice I think, but she has had several MC's up to 500cc so is used to planning and balance. However that would be the factor that made us move on from these, because other than that, I think for our occasional leisure use, these are great, making a trip to the shops a rewarding event, extending the distance we go, we go at the same speed, and we can leave them anywhere

Last edited:

Advertisers