Powabyke shopper battery issue.

sandrac

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 6, 2016
Hi there,

Can anybody help me ? I will start at the beginning so you can get an idea of the whole picture.
Last September I acquired a powabyke shopper. The lady selling it, said that all it would need is a new set of batteries. Fair enough. I bought a set of 12ah 12v batteries (which were the same as in the bike) and they worked fine for 3 months. After that I noticed that they appeared to no longer be holding their charge. I was having to cycle for about a mile every time I used the bike and each day it was getting more cycling. I contacted the company who I bought them off and basically they did not want to know. At work I had them tested with a battery tester and yes they were losing their charge. I cut my losses and after speaking to a work colleague discovered that you could buy 15ah 12v batteries which apparently are better than 12ah. I was told it was the equivalent of say buying duracell and ever ready if that makes sense.
So I went ahead and bought them and everything was fine until about a week ago. Again it seemed to be happening again. The only difference is that they dont seem to continue to lose more charge. I get to a certain point and they then start dying. My bike is used 6 days a week and I cycle the same route every day. (Approx 6.9 miles to work and home again). I charge them as soon as I get to work so the battery is full before returning home and again when I am home so they are ready for the morning. The charger goes green when the batteries are charged and it cuts off charging as the charging unit cools down. I presume? Am i doing something wrong? As the unit is cooling surely it cannot be overcharging them? I do sometimes leave the charger on all night depending on what time I am charging them, but as I have said before as the unit is cooling so it cant be charging right? Even though they are not getting me all the way to work they are still taking approx 2.5 hours to charge which is the same time as when they worked fine. Sorry if it appears that I am waffling on but to me this is the best way to describe it. Any help or advice would be greatfully appreciated.
Sandra

sandrac

Mar 6, 2016
Hi,
Also, if they have been overcharged can they be repaired?
Sandra

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can you provide a link for the batterie's you have got.
I assume you are using a pair in series to get 24v or 3 in series for 36v?

sandrac

Mar 6, 2016
Hi,
I cant provide a link but they were purchased from ebay item number- 151630073261 . Hope that helps. I am using 3 to get 36v.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
3 months, 6 days a week, charged 2 times per day is 180 cycles, which is about the lifespan of a heavily drained SLA.

You need to change to a 10ah Lithium ion, which will last for 800-1000 cycles, and give you more than twice your current range. (So you only have to charge once a day)

This would continue to work for around 3 years.

It'll cost about £250

sandrac

Mar 6, 2016
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the advice. I will look into this as I have now looked on Ebay and the battery is a different shape to mine so will obviously have different types of connector. I have a friend who is pretty good at sorting out this sort of thing so I will get him to see if he could alter my bike to fit that type of battery. Once again many thanks
Sandra

Advertisers