Powabyke Shopper Query

Caspar

Just Joined
Nov 30, 2014
Hi
Have just acquired a neglected Shopper. I know it needs new batteries but wanted to check that it is working before I buy them. I know the motor is ok as it spins with 12v from a battery charger directly to it. It doesn't work, however, when I try it from the battery pack after a few hours on charge, maybe they are just too far gone. My question is should it be possible to test that the bike works when on charge with the 36v charger hooked up to the batteries? Mine lights up on the throttle but nothing from the motor whatever I try.
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

Probably a knackered controller, assuming that it worked when you connected the 12v directly to the motor.

Caspar

Just Joined
Nov 30, 2014
Thanks, so you'd expect it would spin the motor when on charge even with knackered batteries? If I try the self diagnostic function when on charge it shows H (change battery) and when tried not on charge shows L (change motor) which seems odd.

D

Deleted member 4366

When the motor ran, did you connect the 12v to the motor or where?

D

Deleted member 4366

OK then, you can test the bike by using the charger as the power source with the wheel off the ground so there's no load on the motor. Do you have to pedal before you can use the throttle? You should disconnect the battery while you do this test because it can sink the voltage if it's faulty. The controller won't give power if the voltage is too low. The charger will only give a low current, so be gentle with the throttle and only do it long enough to test whether the motor responds to the throttle. If it works, you only need new batteries.

Caspar

Just Joined
Nov 30, 2014
Thanks, that did it. Without the batteries it's working. Thanks for your help.

Advertisers