power cut

chess

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
Here is how the morning went: Load up fairly new electric bike with spare day clothes, puncture outfit, rain gear (nasty weather report), books, and other small stuff. Then set off 14 miles to work with a fresh breeze straight in the face (why is the wind always in cyclists face?).
Just about 1 mile before arriving at work last of three leds goes out-so about two miles left. Arrive to find power cut which last all day!
Ride almost unpowered bike home. Surprised by how easy it was to ride using power in short bursts up steeper parts of hills, when down into bottom gear.
Its a Carrera sparc machine and seems to be geared about right for the long gradients in coastal Essex. Still, one gradient is about five miles long.
Battery is on charge now!
Perhaps next time I'll ride in econ mode to work!

chess
ps Sram gear ratios are labelled in literature as; 68%, or 128% what does this signify?

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
A fundamental law.

"Then set off 14 miles to work with a fresh breeze straight in the face (why is the wind always in cyclists face?)."

Chess, this is a fundamental law of physics, I'm surprised you didn't know:D

Derrick - Llanberis

Last edited:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
"Then set off 14 miles to work with a fresh breeze straight in the face (why is the wind always in cyclists face?)."

Chess, this is a fundamental law of physics, I'm surprised you didn't know:D

Derrick - Llanberis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i learnt quite quick if i went the wind was in my face and if i remembered i had forgotton something and turned for home the wind was again in my face, arrive home collect items and set off again...wind in face....its "winds" law...no matter which direction you go.."im in your face :D , love me or call a taxi..:p ".........

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And a variation of this is that when climbing steep hills, strong winds are always headwinds, never following.

On the SRAM gear ratio percentage question Chess, they are sometimes expressed at percentages above or below a direct drive onto the hub as negative or positive values. In the case you mention it's likely they refer to a situation where 100% is direct drive and those figures reflect the amounts below or above

I can't see any reference to percentages in SRAM's technical documents on their site, so can you point me to where you've seen these?

Advertisers