Predictability

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My websites are on free space from an ISP that I used to use for everything, but since switching my broadband to a much better ISP, I'm forced to load webpages using a dial-up connection. With high contention, loading them is often troublesome, and usually impossible in the evenings when everyone is home and online.

I tried to load an updated one at 6.30 and again just after 7 this evening and as usual it failed both times, but then it occurred that The Gadget Show was on at 8 o'clock. Since it's gamers and gadget loving geeks who use computers online most, I guessed that might be worth a try. With The Gadget Show on and an item about computer games being shown, I tried again and the page loaded instantly at maximum dial-up speed. Clearly those who clog up the bandwidth every evening were all watching The Gadget Show, leaving the lines free for me!

They'd be shocked to know how predictable they are. :eek:

I think The Gadget Show should be on every evening for at least two hours. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't worry, it's repeated tomorrow on Fiver at 8pm, Freeview channel 30. :)

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
It's one of those programs I like to record. I can get get through a good episode in 15 minutes with fast forward at 32 frames per second. No adverts and no boring bits -thus the 15 minutes (at most:D ) then straight back on the internet. Beats the misery of East Enders :(

Correction: I think that's 32 missed frames or something like that - faster than Mussels on his Wisper in off-road mode with his big apples anyway and great for missing the adverts

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's one of my favourite tricks, I run two DVD/hard drive recorders and dump the shows with ads in them for watching when I choose. That was very useful to see as much as I wanted of "Britains got (very little) Talent! :D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Aren't gadgets great when you can get them working for you. :D

Advertisers