Help! Problem with Voilamart controller

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Sorry but swapping out a 22a controller for another 22a controller is not going to give you any more low speed torque! on a more positive note a kt system is one of the best, i use the same one myself. The only issue is the direct drive hub which will negate all the benefits of the power control system apposed to a speed controlled one. PS: There are plenty of geared hubs you can use instead of your direct drive one, you will need a low rpm around 210rpm on a 26"rim to give max low end torque.
I'm not sure what His previous controller had two power levels - 15A and 22A, which are equivalent to levels 4 and 5 on his new one. If he was happy with his previous controller, he'll still have everything he had before, but now he's got three extra lower levels of power provided he uses PAS.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thank you both for your time and comments - I have decided to take the plunge and go for the controller you suggested - I followed the thread back to topbikekit.com and ordered T09S - which is the one you recommended - it was £21 + 21.75 for DHL (could have got snail mail for £7). If i had wanted extras they were ridiculously cheap. Many thanks for your help in resolving this issue, the site is worth its weight in gold.
If you forgot to order the LCD3 and you don't have a pedal sensor, order the pedal sensor as well otherwise you lose all the good features of the controller. Did you have a PAS before?

Tonywilson123

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2020
If you forgot to order the LCD3 and you don't have a pedal sensor, order the pedal sensor as well otherwise you lose all the good features of the controller. Did you have a PAS before?
Yes I do have a pedal sensor - I can get the LCD3 from Amazon, thanks

Tonywilson123

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2020
Sorry but swapping out a 22a controller for another 22a controller is not going to give you any more low speed torque! on a more positive note a kt system is one of the best, i use the same one myself. The only issue is the direct drive hub which will negate all the benefits of the power control system apposed to a speed controlled one. PS: There are plenty of geared hubs you can use instead of your direct drive one, you will need a low rpm around 210rpm on a 26"rim to give max low end torque.
Thanks for the advice - I have a KT controller and lcd3 display on the way - I will see how it goes - again thanks

Tonywilson123

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2020
Yes I do have a pedal sensor - I can get the LCD3 from Amazon, thanks
Hi, hope you are still up for helping me - I hav
If changing controllers from one make to another they aren't always plug and play.
The battery connections are basic Red to Red & Black to Black often bullets.
The three phase wires are also easy and likewise couloir to colour and bullets.
The white connector with 5 or 6 thinner wires is also a std hall connector and simply plug and play.
One doesn't have to worry about the display wiring because a new compatible matching one will need to be bought with the controller so it would simply plug in.
That only leaves two connections a throttle if used again a simple connection as is the PAS sensor connector. All one needs to do is simply match the wires correctly so some pics and we can tell you exactly what goes to what.

It might seem hard or tricky but is quite simple with our help/advice. Cost is about £70 - £100 for the decent friendly to use KT controller/lcd.
Sometimes a soldering iron comes in handy so it is best to have one at hand.
hi - are you still up for giving me some help/advice - just received my new KT controller, kt3 display and speed sensor and to put it bluntly spaghetti looks more appetising. I have made a list of all the plugs/wires and taken a photo of the box. Hope to hear from you

Tonywilson123

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2020
Hi, hope you are still up for helping me - I hav

hi - are you still up for giving me some help/advice - just received my new KT controller, kt3 display and speed sensor and to put it bluntly spaghetti looks more appetising. I have made a list of all the plugs/wires and taken a photo of the box. Hope to hear from you

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You don't need those two jumpers in the middle photo.

Start by connecting the motor, LCD, throttle and battery in that sequence. You can then test it. Switch on the LCD and try the throttle. Don't open the throttle right up - just a little bit unless you can see that the motor is turning properly without a rasping noise. If the motor clicks, ticks, judders or anything like that, stop and sort out the settings. If the motor appears to be dead, then you'll probably have to go into the settings to activate the throttle.

Your photos are too small. Show some proper ones.

Tonywilson123

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2020
You don't need those two jumpers in the middle photo.

Start by connecting the motor, LCD, throttle and battery in that sequence. You can then test it. Switch on the LCD and try the throttle. Don't open the throttle right up - just a little bit unless you can see that the motor is turning properly without a rasping noise. If the motor clicks, ticks, judders or anything like that, stop and sort out the settings. If the motor appears to be dead, then you'll probably have to go into the settings to activate the throttle.

Your photos are too small. Show some proper ones.
blimey that was quick - I’ve just put it to bed for the night but one thing springs to mind - the throttle has a 5 pin connector and that is taken up by the display, I saw something on YouTube that only 3 of the 5 wires are now needed as the battery condition will now be done by the display - which wires/plug should I go to?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
blimey that was quick - I’ve just put it to bed for the night but one thing springs to mind - the throttle has a 5 pin connector and that is taken up by the display, I saw something on YouTube that only 3 of the 5 wires are now needed as the battery condition will now be done by the display - which wires/plug should I go to?
Photos!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
posted 3 straight after I sent the message - finger trouble
In the 6-way black flat connector, the throttle wires are red black and white. You don't show what side of the connector that is. I'm assuming the throttle side. If they're different colours on the other side, you have to use the ones that join to those three wires. The green should be battery voltage for your old battery indicator, so you don't need that anymore, and yellow and brown are for the switch, which you don't need either.

The flat 5-way connector on the new controller is for the LCD. Don't connect anything else to it.

Tonywilson123

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2020
In the 6-way black flat connector, the throttle wires are red black and white. You don't show what side of the connector that is. I'm assuming the throttle side. If they're different colours on the other side, you have to use the ones that join to those three wires. The green should be battery voltage for your old battery indicator, so you don't need that anymore, and yellow and brown are for the switch, which you don't need either.

The flat 5-way connector on the new controller is for the LCD. Don't connect anything else to it.
Hi don’t quite follow - the old controller has a 5 pin black but the new one only has 1 white 5pin And various smaller ones - I presume this combination of smaller plugs are in its place? Very confusing- 1st photo is new box 2nd is old box

Attachments

Tonywilson123

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2020
Hi don’t quite follow - the old controller has a 5 pin black but the new one only has 1 white 5pin And various smaller ones - I presume this combination of smaller plugs are in its place? Very confusing- 1st photo is new box 2nd is old box
There is a white 3 pin black white red - could that be it?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
One of your earlier photos of your original controller shows a flat black six pin connector with red, black, white, green, brown and yellow wires does it not?

Advertisers