Problems with YouTube

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Yes, I do know there's a thread for bike videos and it's a sticky.
But its for "on the web video" at the moment mine is stuck on my computer.
(This is one for the video boffins on the forum).

Went out today and recorded a section of my ride.
I managed to video about a third of it (camera went silly for the rest).
I have joined YouTube but can't seem to get my video to upload to them - could it just be it's just too busy - Saturday night?

Page just sits there doing nothing ....

Success: Your video settings will be saved once your video has finished being uploaded.

.... and won't let me move on because if I do it cancels everything - done it 3 times know and I'm getting cheesed off with it.

Anyone have any experience with YouTube and can shed some light on this?

Also, does the camera exaggerate the noise of the electric motor?
Mine is far nosier on the video than in real life - can't understand it.
Any ideas?

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
the first bit is most likely to be YT problems. Youtube/Google is the nearest you get to having a free lunch - sometimes the portions need to be rationed or not everyone can be fed at the same time.

The second is due to automatic level control on your camera which isn't as "smart" as a separate sound recordist with manual level controls.

This is why the TV / film crews use different mics and equipment - sometimes a big mic on a boom pole, sometimes the reporters' hand held mic with a foam windscreen, sometimes tiny Japanese condenser mics which can be hidden anywhere... often fed to a shoulder mounted mixer or recorder with manual level control..

if you were wanting to get the best sound quality for a professional video the way to do it these days would be to have a two channel digital sound recorder with one mic picking up ambient sound well away from the hub motor, and another on our helmet if you were doing commentary - and have a separate camera operator using the traditional slate/clapperboard.

Of course this may not be feasible if you are doing everything yourself (it may also account for the "camera going silly" if its tape based as you can get a "gyro error" due to the tape mechanism being jolted about...)

or you can obtain and attach a miniature camera to a helmet (they do have their use after all :D) - recording onto chips thus no risk of gyro error.. in all seriousness this is where I certainly would wear one or suggest the rider does (depending on the terrain or nature of the video) as the act of making a film is a slight distraction from riding safely...

you can however capture your video into local software like Ulead (cheap but effective) or Windows Movie Maker (free with XP and still maybe with Vista?) and then reduce the volume of the soundtrack with the motor noise, then send it up to YT....

Alex
(former AV projects engineer for BBC, Anglia TV, Yorkshire, Central etc.... and freelance advisor to local artists/musicians in Reading...)

Last edited:

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Alex728 posted:
.... sometimes the portions need to be rationed or not everyone can be fed at the same time ....

I was unsure if it was me, as their FAQ talk's about 1GB files being ok and mine are only 50MB.
So I thought it strange when nothing happened (even after waiting 30 minutes) :confused:
I will try again.

.... The second is due to automatic level control on your camera which isn't as "smart" as a separate sound recordist with manual level controls ....

Again this makes sense and probable very obvious.
On the playback it sounded so loud - my mate’s comment got me worrying as he thought it was my 125cc scooter at first :eek:

.... you can obtain and attach a miniature camera to a helmet ....

I have one already - a sports camera.
The first time I tried to film my ride I fitted the camera to my head.
Regrettably, I forgot to allow for natural head-drop (while riding) and ended up recording lots of tarmac.
This time I attached it to the handlebars and it recorded the first part perfectly.
Unfortunately, I stopped to buy a lottery ticket and thought I turned the sports camera off, to save power (I didn't).
So when I turned the recorder back on the picture went b&w and went out of alignment, the rest of the recording is useless.

It's a shame the bulk of the recording was ruined, I wanted to get some good footage in prelude to me being unable to ride for the next two months (carpal tunnel release operation on Friday). At least I could sit and watch it with tears in my eyes and dream ;)

Thanks for the advice on this Alex

Last edited:

Advertisers