Programming the Onebot S6 ebike

black-smoothie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2019
I've just got a new Onebot S6 ebike (very cheap on ebay).
It has an LCD. I can get into programming mode, by holding the + and - keys both down together for about 5 seconds. I can then scroll through the various parameter, but there aren't many of them, and I have no idea what many of them mean. Can anyone help?

P0 - First thing that is shown - doesn't seem to be anything to adjust here
P1 - 0 = km/h, 1=m/h
P2 - default 15.6 - can be changed to anything - I think this is a wheelsize/speed calibration value. If I increase it, it reports that I'm going faster, but I don't believe that I actually am.
P3 - 1-2. Can be changed to 1-3, 1-4 or 1-5. No idea what this means.
P3 (again) - 2-5. Can be changed to 2-4, 2-5, 2-6. No idea what this means.
P3 (again) - 3-8. Can be changed to 3-7, 3-8, 3-9. No idea what this means.

Reactions: aliengoa

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All I can say is P1 is metric and imperial measurements probably both speedo and odometer.

black-smoothie

Aug 21, 2019
I took it apart to find out which controller it has (it's a WK3612YS), but I couldn't find any information on programming that.

I then trawled the internet for any general ebike speed limit information. I stumbled upon "the mad Rumanian", who on a completely different ebike, disconnected the short white wire that comes out of the controller and goes back into it, and that removed his speed limit, so I searched for the same on my S6.
Not quite the same on the onebot S6. I found a short (10cm) black wire and a short white wire - neither of them were connected to anything, but one had a male and the other a female connector on the end. I took a gamble and connected them together. Hey presto, a slightly faster S6!

I then tried various combinations of the three P3 settings - I don't know exactly what they control, but by changing them you can vary the initial pull away torque and the highest speed.
I found the best compromise to be as follows:
P3-1 = 3
P3-2 = 6
P3-3 = 7

abbzah

Just Joined
Jun 5, 2020
I took it apart to find out which controller it has (it's a WK3612YS), but I couldn't find any information on programming that.

I then trawled the internet for any general ebike speed limit information. I stumbled upon "the mad Rumanian", who on a completely different ebike, disconnected the short white wire that comes out of the controller and goes back into it, and that removed his speed limit, so I searched for the same on my S6.
Not quite the same on the onebot S6. I found a short (10cm) black wire and a short white wire - neither of them were connected to anything, but one had a male and the other a female connector on the end. I took a gamble and connected them together. Hey presto, a slightly faster S6!

I then tried various combinations of the three P3 settings - I don't know exactly what they control, but by changing them you can vary the initial pull away torque and the highest speed.
P3-1 = 3
P3-2 = 6
P3-3 = 7
Hi, I’ve just got one of these bikes and followed the same steps as you to make it go slightly faster. Thanks to your posts!

I was wondering if you’ve managed to unlock any new findings or improvements since these posts?

JonathanFW

Just Joined
May 29, 2020
P3-1 = 3
P3-2 = 6
P3-3 = 7
The initial settings were 2, 5, 7 - right?
What does the change to 3 and 6 do?

And that you for the wire hack :)

Michael Powell

Just Joined
Jul 2, 2020
Yes, BUT....the rest of the bike may not be up to it, especially the smallish wheels. Besides, more power through the motor or speed controller may generate more heat than they can cope with. You buy it as a package, with every specification matched, if you want something more enthusiastic on the road or track, you really don't want to start here.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, BUT....the rest of the bike may not be up to it, especially the smallish wheels. Besides, more power through the motor or speed controller may generate more heat than they can cope with. You buy it as a package, with every specification matched, if you want something more enthusiastic on the road or track, you really don't want to start here.
I think that's a bit negative . I've increased speed and power on many OEM bikes, and over the 10 years on this forum, I've advised many others also what they can do. I've never had a problem, nor had a report of a problem as a result of my recommendations.

There's a massive safety margin in the design and specification of most of these bikes, so plenty of options for tuning. I took one Cheap OEM bike that came with 12 amps and 24v (288w) and ran it with 18 amps and 50v (900w) to get a speed of 33 mph from it. It worked perfectly like that.

Michael Powell

Just Joined
Jul 2, 2020
I think that's a bit negative . I've increased speed and power on many OEM bikes, and over the 10 years on this forum, I've advised many others also what they can do. I've never had a problem, nor had a report of a problem as a result of my recommendations.

There's a massive safety margin in the design and specification of most of these bikes, so plenty of options for tuning. I took one Cheap OEM bike that came with 12 amps and 24v (288w) and ran it with 18 amps and 50v (900w) to get a speed of 33 mph from it. It worked perfectly like that.
Thats as may be, but its like anything, you can get away with things only so long. If you can show the calculations done by the OEM and the margins that you are eating into, then I'd be less critical. But I suspect that you don't have the information necessary to hack the products of others are trusting to luck.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thats as may be, but its like anything, you can get away with things only so long. If you can show the calculations done by the OEM and the margins that you are eating into, then I'd be less critical. But I suspect that you don't have the information necessary to hack the products of others are trusting to luck.
You've absolutely no idea. These are Chinese products! I've been to China, met the engineers and visited the factories. Most of them don't have a clue. They just copy from each other from one factory to the next. There are no calculations. We know what the margins are from thousands of empirical tests done by hundreds of guys from forums across the world over a decade. For some of these guys, its a life's work. Have a look at the Endless-sphere forum.

Reactions: Tony1951

Michael Powell

Just Joined
Jul 2, 2020
You've absolutely no idea. These are Chinese products! I've been to China, met the engineers and visited the factories. Most of them don't have a clue. They just copy from each other from one factory to the next. There are no calculations. We know what the margins are from thousands of empirical tests done by hundreds of guys from forums across the world over a decade. For some of these guys, its a life's work. Have a look at the Endless-sphere forum.
I'm sorry but I have professional qualifications and I've kicked the arses of dozens of smart alecs with certainty that they know better than the people who've done the design work. If you came to me and attempted to eat into the safety margins I've put in that would be the end of your good day. Its not the first time back-street hackers have told the world how clever they are. I work with Chinese companies on a regular basis and am certain they know what they are doing. If you've only met the back-street bakers, then more fool you.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'm sorry but I have professional qualifications
I'm a chartered graduate mechanical engineer, I have a post graduate degree, I taught electronics for 10 years, and I worked as an ebike mechanic for three years. I can tell from what you're saying, that you have absolutely no idea about ebikes - just spouting textbook bullshit.

If you know so much, why aren't you helping the guys on this forum solve their ebike problems?

Reactions: joelectric

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Michael....if like me you are a professional (was in my case now retired Radio Communications) you will be well aware that the way to discovery and the advancement of your particular science is by thinking out of the box,
that's how I made my money by creating things others told me could not be done.
You could tell vfr400 all day he's wrong but you would be wasting your time because he's already done it a thousand times before.
Why not peruse the forum threads and see what people get up to, they design & build their own batteries, bikes even. There are ebike store owners and engineers of all disciplines on here and they all have one thing in common...they don't follow what the book says because they think out of the box.
Have a look around see if I'm right or not :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Michael....if like me you are a professional (was in my case now retired Radio Communications) you will be well aware that the way to discovery and the advancement of your particular science is by thinking out of the box,
that's how I made my money by creating things others told me could not be done.
You could tell vfr400 all day he's wrong but you would be wasting your time because he's already done it a thousand times before.
Why not peruse the forum threads and see what people get up to, they design & build their own batteries, bikes even. There are ebike store owners and engineers of all disciplines on here and they all have one thing in common...they don't follow what the book says because they think out of the box.
Have a look around see if I'm right or not :)
Thanks for that. He won't be able to see what I've done because I changed my account. I had over 20,000 posts on my old one.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
That's ok vfr, you do have to look around at what's going on in a forum though as it's easy to pick up on something someone has posted then have a pop at them without digging deeper first.
I hope Michael stays with us and contributes with more knowledge, that's what a good forum is about.

aliengoa

Just Joined
Oct 4, 2020
Hello from Greece. Thanks for the info. I have the same bike. I havent tried yet your hack but since i found this topic ive been meaning to ask. How can i install a throttle? Just like say Fiido bikes? Sometimes i like to move without the need of pedals. Ive seen some videos with original installation of a throttle.
Also, my screen shows that the throttle is missing (indeed) but i assume that eveyrything is ready and i just need the right spare part to add it (ofc connect it also with the controller).

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hello from Greece. Thanks for the info. I have the same bike. I havent tried yet your hack but since i found this topic ive been meaning to ask. How can i install a throttle? Just like say Fiido bikes? Sometimes i like to move without the need of pedals. Ive seen some videos with original installation of a throttle.
Also, my screen shows that the throttle is missing (indeed) but i assume that eveyrything is ready and i just need the right spare part to add it (ofc connect it also with the controller).
You have to look at the controller to see if it has the spare three-pin connector for a throttle. I've never had a sample of your bikes, so I can't say for certain, but the controller is probably in the back part of the frame. You fold the bike, then you should see a panel with the battery connector on the rear half. Unscrew the screws that hold that panel in place, then pull it forward to expose the controller and a tangle of wires and connectors.

There appear to be some screws in the side of that rear part of the frame. I've no idea what they're for, but they may be something to do with the controller.

Reactions: aliengoa

stormi

Just Joined
Nov 6, 2020
Hello Aliengoa from Greece too! Did you managed to solve the Throttle issue? I m very interested on adding a throttle to my S6 as well. Thx!

Artemis

Just Joined
Oct 24, 2020
Hey all can somebody post a photo of the onebot s6 wiring between bike and controler
I know 8 ask too much...
I messed my new bike and I'm kinda desperate

I would really appreciate it

Tolga

Dec 1, 2020
Hi.. I am new here. I tried the wire hack connected white socket to the black one. Vola speed incased up in speed 2 : 25km in speed 3: 28km 30km. I’ll double check tomorrow.
It feels like the motor reaches at the highest speed in speed 3.
I don’t think you can increase any further. other settings mentioned above for P3 also set as mentioned. But I suspect it may change the voltage on the motor. I am not sure about that. P2 is tire size. I’ll check and observe again to see if ideal one is 156 or 160( as in 160mm tire size) that should reflect your speed nothing more.

As for trottle I think that can be done if I can find the wire diagram of VK3612YS motor controller unit. Looks like it isn’t sold in Alibaba or AliEXpress. So no information about it. I presumed there is some sort of relay in the motor that is triggered by pedal motion. That can be short circuited with a button extension up to the handlebar. Would definitely be easier to solve it on the motor controller though.

second thing the battery is 5,2Ah.Wonder if 10Ah battery available? Any idea. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: GASJ

Advertisers