Programming the Onebot S6 ebike

xhannyah

Just Joined
Apr 21, 2021
Japan
I made an account because I have this same bike and I came accross this thread. I'm trying to mod it as well.

I have also p4 on my onebot. What is it?
I think the newer models come with a different controller. This setting might be to switch between 36v and 48v but I'm not sure.

I have found the white and black cable.
but The ebike go not faster.
I recently bought mine and was able to remove the speed limiter by doing the brake/throttle trick. You basically hold both brakes and twist the throttle to full speed, turn on the bike while doing this and hold it for about 5 seconds, then release the throttle and both brakes.

xhannyah

Just Joined
Apr 21, 2021
Japan
I want to upgrade to a 10Ah+ 36v or 48v battery, but haven't been able to find one with the same dimensions as the one this bike uses.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Markus73

Just Joined
Feb 18, 2021
Hi guys, I was wandering if I could add a second 36V external battery (in a bag on steering wheel) connected in series with the original one , so double voltage (72V) but same ampere. Do u think the motor will be affected? Some electrical engineer has the right answer? Thx

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Fairly common to run a 36v rated motor at 48v, but 72v is probably not a good idea.
You would need to upgrade the controller (that is often needed even for 36v to 48v).
You might have problems with the BMSs on the batteries; you would certainly need to charge them separately with a 42v charger.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi guys, I was wandering if I could add a second 36V external battery (in a bag on steering wheel) connected in series with the original one , so double voltage (72V) but same ampere. Do u think the motor will be affected? Some electrical engineer has the right answer? Thx
The answer is no. Your controller would pop, and even if you could find a 72v controller that you could fit somehow, your motor would run so inefficiently that it would overheat and burn on the first hill it got to if it could get that far.

The highest you could go is 12S (44V) by adding a 2S pack, but even that isn't straight-forward because it's very easy to brick either battery, which could be expensive. You can do it, but you need to understand about battery management.

Markus73

Just Joined
Feb 18, 2021
Thanks for the answers! I’m just finding a way to get 35/40 kph without compromise the whole ebike setup. If u have any suggestion...thanks for your time

Markus73

Just Joined
Feb 18, 2021
Maybe the best way to increase speed is excluding (remove) the native battery and use an external one 52V. Does it affect the motor in any way? Thx

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for the answers! I’m just finding a way to get 35/40 kph without compromise the whole ebike setup. If u have any suggestion...thanks for your time
Moped or motor bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe the best way to increase speed is excluding (remove) the native battery and use an external one 52V. Does it affect the motor in any way? Thx
Why can't you guys just accept it is only a push bike and stay legal.

Do you think the Plod or some one from the Plod doesn't read these type of posts, in time more ebikes will be stopped and questioned. For god sake if you are going down that route don't drag every else down with you.

Markus73

Just Joined
Feb 18, 2021

Do you think the Plod or some one from the Plod doesn't read these type of posts, in time more ebikes will be stopped and questioned. For god sake if you are going down that route don't drag every else down with you.
Because I use it inside a private airport where I use to work

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Because I use it inside a private airport where I use to work
And if said airport is accessible/used by others it still isn't classed as private use.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You'd need a battery, controller, hydraulic brakes and high gearing. It would be easier to convert a bike more suitable for that sort of speed. The Onebot S6 is a 12mph bicycle. It wouldn't make sense to buy one for £800, then chuck all the electrical items, and spend £500 on new bits to get something that's an abortion, when you can buy a much better donor bike for £200 and £800 on a battery motor and controller that would get you what you want.

xhannyah

Just Joined
Apr 21, 2021
Japan

There is no difference between modding this bike and building your own bike in that regard, though. Problems are bound to arise regardless, I think.

Anyways, to answer the OP. I'm not an ebike or electric expert for that matter. But from the research I did, you cannot increase the voltage past the amount supported by the controller. This bike does 31kph when the speed is unlocked by doing the brake/throttle trick. However, the original 6.2Ah battery is weak and will only do about 30 mins on throttle (I'm 64kg).

I managed to build my own battery pack using 18650 cells and the provided housing (from the picture). It's a 44.4v battery pack with 12 3.7v cells. I don't know about your particular S6 variation, but I seem to have a Chinese variation with a different controller that supports 36v and 42v, so using a 44v battery pack inncreased my speed to 37-38kph give or take. Note that I live in Japan and we don't have access to the UK market bikes. I have to get em off Alibaba, directly from Chinese suppliers, so maybe that's why I ended up with a different model.

NORTHWEST

Just Joined
Aug 27, 2021
Hi, first post so apologises if it's been covered elsewhere , I've tried a search but cant see an exact answer so here goes. Rather than looking to derestrict is the onebot s6 uk legal out the box, I see it has a thumb throttle but it also seems to be restricted to advised top speed of 15.5mph beforecutting power, therefore given it also has a small motor combined with low speed restriction does this mean its road legal or does the fact it can be powered without pedalling put it in dodgy ground?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi, first post so apologises if it's been covered elsewhere , I've tried a search but cant see an exact answer so here goes. Rather than looking to derestrict is the onebot s6 uk legal out the box, I see it has a thumb throttle but it also seems to be restricted to advised top speed of 15.5mph beforecutting power, therefore given it also has a small motor combined with low speed restriction does this mean its road legal or does the fact it can be powered without pedalling put it in dodgy ground?
It depends how the throttle is configured. Whatever is the case, you can always disconnect it to make the bike legal.

KlaasD

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2021
There is no difference between modding this bike and building your own bike in that regard, though. Problems are bound to arise regardless, I think.

Anyways, to answer the OP. I'm not an ebike or electric expert for that matter. But from the research I did, you cannot increase the voltage past the amount supported by the controller. This bike does 31kph when the speed is unlocked by doing the brake/throttle trick. However, the original 6.2Ah battery is weak and will only do about 30 mins on throttle (I'm 64kg).

I managed to build my own battery pack using 18650 cells and the provided housing (from the picture). It's a 44.4v battery pack with 12 3.7v cells. I don't know about your particular S6 variation, but I seem to have a Chinese variation with a different controller that supports 36v and 42v, so using a 44v battery pack inncreased my speed to 37-38kph give or take. Note that I live in Japan and we don't have access to the UK market bikes. I have to get em off Alibaba, directly from Chinese suppliers, so maybe that's why I ended up with a different model.
Hi Xhannyah,
can you tell a bit more about the 44.4 V battery pack you built?
I am looking to buy or build a similar replacement for the original 36V 6,2Ah battery.
What Ah cells did you use? And what BMS?
Advice on a suitable 48v controller would also be very welcome. My original controller is 36v...

hjd

Just Joined
Sep 29, 2021
Btw I’ve just tried throttle on the connector green red and black you mentioned. The socket didn’t match so I cut it out and stick the cables to respective colours in the bike.
It works!

View attachment 39704View attachment 39703
Hello Tolga, I am also trying to add throttle contol to my pedal assist bike. My contoller is also a WK362YS it has 2 3-way connectors with red-black-green. The one with red in the middle is connected to the PAS. So I presume that the other one with black in the middle is throttle control. But when I connect the red (+5V) in that connector with the green nothing happens :-( . So i think a thumb throttle will not work either. Did you reprogram the controller for throttle control? Thanks.

hjd

Just Joined
Sep 29, 2021
Hello Tolga, I am also trying to add throttle contol to my pedal assist bike. My contoller is also a WK362YS it has 2 3-way connectors with red-black-green. The one with red in the middle is connected to the PAS. So I presume that the other one with black in the middle is throttle control. But when I connect the red (+5V) in that connector with the green nothing happens :-( . So i think a thumb throttle will not work either. Did you reprogram the controller for throttle control? Thanks.
Update 01 October 2021: I did connect a universal thumb throttle and it works fine! My assumption that the throttle was a variable resistor is wrong. It is probably a Hall sensor that sends out pulses in stead of a variable dc voltage.

Advertisers