Project 2. Rear Hub Kit

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
So I have just completed my Bafang bbshd build for me and am enjoying the bike immensely as described in my other thread.
I recently refreshed my wifes Specialized Rockhopper with new rear chainset ,chain ,front chainring and brake pads. However this aint cutting the mustard now I have my powered bike so I have ordered the following for her and will get on with this build once the bits arrive.
I hopeshe doesn't start leaving me behind though..!

Kirbebike 1500W E-Bike Conversion Kit
  • Wheel Size:
    26" Wheel
  • Gears:
    9 Speed
  • Rim Upgrade:
    MTX 39
  • Charger Upgrade:
    Standard

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
She'll hate it. You should've asked here before ordering.

I don't see any torque arms in the kit, so you'll need to buy a pair from Ebay or somewhere like that.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
How come your wife only deserves a crappy DD hub motor? If she has tried your bike she's not gonna be a happy bunny.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
She'll hate it. You should've asked here before ordering.

I don't see any torque arms in the kit, so you'll need to buy a pair from Ebay or somewhere like that.
Yep torque arms, (just researched a bit) they are included. I remember the guy who i bought it from advising not to use the metal clamps supplied with the kit as he feels they are not strong enough, and suggested using a rivnut or two into the frame somewhere if possible.

Still dont know why she will hate it?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Those kits are extremely heavy. Also, they're very fast, and happy when they're cruising at 30mph - not the sort of thing for a casual ride out into the country or to the shops. You'll see.

Without torque arms the motor will spin out of the drop-outs, snap the power cable and kill the hall sensors in the motor, leaving you with a very difficult repair.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Right got you.
To be fair shes not a weedy woman shall we say..! Shes fairly rough tough type but if shes doesnt take to it im sure we can swap kits over. Its really only for the big hills she needs a shove and i thought this may fit the bill. And give us a bit more mileage on our weekend jaunts. Time will tell i guess.
I think she will be ok with it.
Regards
Rob.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They're very inefficient when it comes to hills, so the battery will go down quickly. Geared hub-motors are better for hills. They give more torque and you don't need to keep the speed so high, and they use a lot less power.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
you'll love it my friend, see my build, I'm well chuffed with it.
Yeh just checked your build out and looks like you had similar issues with the fitment as I did. But nothing that cant be overcome. Your bike looks fantastic.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
So we did a 33 mile ride at the weekend and the misses was more than happy with the bike. Got her up the steep climbs no problem and plenty of battery left at the end.
Just put a suspension seat post on for her to see if its more comfortable. I may get one myself if it works ok. All in all, so far so good.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Well that didnt go to plan...!
After going on a ride with the wife at the weekend i decided to do the 33 miler again on my own on Monday to see how fast i could get round it. Knocked about 17 mins off the time on my Bafanged bike.
Decided today that i would do it again to see how fast i could get round on my wifes bike to see if it was actually faster than mine.
All started well and i was absolutely flying round, up the steepest hill like a scalded cat, past the lycra boys as though they were in reverse. All good...!
Got about 6 miles from home and set off from the lights thinking ffs this is hard work getting going...battery was flat as a witches t!t....! Yikes.... It was like riding a 1970,s Raleigh Grifter. Totally wrecked my flying lap.
Our batteries are similar power and mine gets round no problem but the rear wheel kit certainly ,as pointed out to me, saps the juice a lot quicker. I will add im about 5 stone heavier than the wife.
Well it certainly wiped the smug smile off my face...
Lesson learnt.
Just thought i would share it with you guys.

• Informative
Reactions: sjpt

Advertisers