Help! Pulsating motor Babboe Pro Trike E

Mackannn

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2020
Hi
We have a brand new Babboe Pro Trike E that worked for 2 hours the first day. The next day it stopped working after 10 minutes. I got "Error 5" in the display which is "Motor malfunction" according to the manual.

I think it's easiest if I show you the problem by a video so you can hear the sound from the motor. Here's a link: https://mega.nz/file/7k5gzaoS#Cb-ppFXucoeGszUrJsZzPHzLvXiv99pS-MPHtsanUx0
It's like the motor is pulsating. If I turn off the assistance or stop pedalling there's no pulsating sound. Should also mention that I no longer get the Error 5 in the display.

Any help is appreciated. I've checked all cables (that I can think of) and they look ok. The sensor on the crank is flashing with a red light so I guess that's working fine(?) also.

Br
Marcus

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
What is the clunking sound? It's hard to tell what you mean by pulsing, however, have you checked the pas disc. It needs to run parallel to the sensor head - no wobble- and at 1-3mm distance.

Mackannn

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2020
The very distinct metallic sound is from the cassette, which seems a bit loose but maybe that's normal because of the electric engine.

The pulsating sound comes from the engine and it seems like it's trying to give power but it immediately stops, then tries again, and stops and it keep doing this as long as I turn the crank.

The sensor seems ok and close enough to me. See image attached. It also indicates with a flashing red LED light.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The pulsating sound comes from the engine and it seems like it's trying to give power but it immediately stops, then tries again, and stops and it keep doing this as long as I turn the crank.
Typical of PAS sensor, check the magnet disc is firm and doesn't rotate on the BB axle by hand. Bend the bracket so that the sensor almost touches the disc.

Check the motor cable connector (usually a Julet one) along the rear stay, make sure both parts are full engaged up to the raised stop line marked on the Julet connector and the arrows are aligned.
Also check the motor cable where it enters the hub axle, move the wound sprung wire protector to see if the cable at the entry is damaged.

Check the motor controller and that all connections are sound and connecting properly.

Mackannn

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2020
Hi, thanks for all advices. Tried and checked everything but no luck. Spoke to Babboe here in Sweden and they will send me a new rear wheel (with new motor) and a new controller box. Will swap out one thing at a time and hopefully I will find the faulty component.

Advertisers