Puncture avoidance

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi,

I have a Cube Hybrid Cross Pro 400 with Schwalbe Smart Sam 622 x 44 tyres. I’ve had three punctures in three days, one from glass, one from a sharp object that didn’t stay in the tyre and one that was possibly a flaw in the new inner tube. Our local trails, paths and cycle lanes are covered in bits of glass. As a remedy I’ve ordered some Schwalbe Marathon GT 365 DualGuard E-50 FourSeason Performance Wired Hybrid Tyre and some Slime. You can stick drawing pins in the tread and they won’t puncture, apparently. Have I made a wise choice or not? Any advice or comments would be welcome as I’m a newbie to modern cycling.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Agree
Reactions: E-Wheels

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Yes I think you should be fine. I ran some Schwalbe smart sam plus green guard I think with slime tubes using them about 50% off road and never had a puncture.

Although I have not used them myself the Marathon design would appear to be very popular with many pedelec members using them, reporting them to be very hard wearing and puncture resistant. Some advise caution in colder winter months as they are quite a hard tyre and in colder weather can lose grip if used without caution.

I changed from the Smart Sam plus tyre after getting blow out side wall failure punctures in my rear tyre, but I think since then they may have changed the side wall construction.

I am now using Specialized Crossroads Armadillo 650B 27.6” Wired Clincher Tyres in 1.9” width and have found them to be very tough and hard wearing as well as not getting any punctures. Although my rear tyre is fairly worn now they have covered 4162 miles since putting them on.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Thank you, that’s what I was hoping to hear.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
<joke mode on>
What is a puncture?
</joke mode>

Seriously I have over 8000 km on three different bikes and only one sidewall on a rear hub motor wheel which gave up after 3600 km. It was a Michelin tire. With puncture protection, had pulled a couple of screws and tacks out of it during use.

For now I am a Big Ben and Big Ben Plus user. The trike is chewing through a set at a horrific rate (maybe I should stop sliding round corners? :D ) but the ones on Number Two look new in comparison after more than 2000 km.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Been out on the trails, tracks and road, very wet today. The Marathons have a much lower rolling resistance than the Smart Sam's and great grip, wet and dry, on road and off road. I pumped them up harder today to 6 bar as I'm 110Kg and still great results. Highly recommended at £24 each.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Been out on the trails, tracks and road, very wet today. The Marathons have a much lower rolling resistance than the Smart Sam's and great grip, wet and dry, on road and off road. I pumped them up harder today to 6 bar as I'm 110Kg and still great results. Highly recommended at £24 each.
I must add they were a bit of a battle to fit, you need 3 hands but I used a trap. Stiff bead and side walls. I expect the reflective band on the sidewalls will be good as the days shorten.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
I used a cable tie, tyrap not a trap.

Advertisers