puncture resistant tyres

Baneli

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Well everyone, I need some advice on finding some tyres for my bike that have a good chance of not being punctured every 5 second on my commute to work! Has anyone got any advice or can recommend any tyres that might be suitable for this? I have a 26" 2.1 MTB that I use for the road, I would rather have slimmer wheels for the speed and things but Im just simply lost at all the offers! Any advice would be awesome!

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Well everyone, I need some advice on finding some tyres for my bike that have a good chance of not being punctured every 5 second on my commute to work! Has anyone got any advice or can recommend any tyres that might be suitable for this? I have a 26" 2.1 MTB that I use for the road, I would rather have slimmer wheels for the speed and things but Im just simply lost at all the offers! Any advice would be awesome!
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/Marathon_Plus_HS440

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent
I'm running schwalbe LandCruiser 26x2.00, had to punctures in 600miles, first was a 6inch nail thro the sidewall and the 2nd was a sharp10mm bit of glass that I think most tyres would puncture with those type of punctures, regular checks have shown that many preventive punctures as the rubber is split and showing the yellow Kevlar band, I do a lot of rough surface and after a weekend I seem to find broken bottles every where.
The Land cruiser run well with little drag, so good that I'm about to replace the battle scared rear.

• Informative

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Just buy joe no flats save you changing your tyre £10 off amazon if you get a flat just use a co2 canister to get you back on the road

The hole will be sealed in 4 seconds at the end of the day you are always going to get punctures no matter what the tyre you have.

i have Schwalbe marathon plus tyres and i still get punctures the answer is sealant nothing else is

i must admit i do get a lot less punctures with Schwalbe tyres but it doesn't solve them all

Due to my circumstances at the moment i need to get to appointments and i haven't really got time for flat tyres and sorting out a puncture so that is why i use sealant to solve the problem quickly.

A few months ago i had a massive thorn about a inch long on my marathon plus tyre and gave me a flat pumped back up back on the
road again in under 2 mins a lot less hassle then messing with tyre levers and messing with a flat

At the end of the day if you are commuting at night no one really wants to fix a puncture no one really minds getting off their bike and just pumping up but going through taken the tube out sorting the puncture more hassle then it worth.

i can assure you when you are commuting to work you won't have to waste time fixing punctures and been late anymore when you use the sealant it will make your life a lot more easier for you.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/no-flats-joe-s-super-sealant/rp-prod18710

i believe joes no flats can seal up to 500 3mm holes so you won't have to worry about the sealant for a long time at all.

my advice would be just buy a bulk of co2 canisters to save some money so the canisters come cheap to save you paying top price all the time.

• Informative

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
M+ Defo far superior puncture protection but absolutely no good off road, no grip what so ever and feel very lardy., That's why I went for the LC
Agree, I was sick of getting punctures and ran the mtb marathon plus for a year with not one puncture. There's always a compromise which is grip etc which in the end was too much for me. i swopped to smart sams, 2nd best punter resistance and definitely better off road, but not perfect.

• Agree

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Commuting in all weathers

* warmer weather riding. Schwable marathon ebike tyre & tyre sealant

*. colder weather riding Schwable marathon winter tyres & sealant

Always handy to have a spare set of wheels so you can just put the wheels straight on so their is no messing around with changing tyres and inner tubes around

Sometimes in the winter it can be quite warm so their is no need for ice tyres depending on the conditions

Perfect for commuting all year round

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baneli

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
So most are pointing towards the marathon plus tyres? I think they sound the best for me, in road riding so don't really want MYB tyres so I'll go for the road ones but what's people's views on the sealant stuff then?
I have heard bad reviews saying they don't work, they bend the wheel frame, block the valve when trying to pump up? How do people find them? Would it be better to by inertubes that have the slime in

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/inner-tubes/slime-schrader-bike-inner-tube-20-26

Or get some better inertubes like continental ones and get a bottle of the slime stuff to fill them?

Dan

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My Delite has Marathon de luxe tyres, done over nine thousand miles, had one puncture in the back tyre..

This was because of low pressure and a thorn got into the side wall.

The foam pressure thing as sold by Aldi fixed it some six or seven thousand miles ago or more, I forget.

If kept inflated to the recommended pressures I doubt slime and the like would be needed.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
So most are pointing towards the marathon plus tyres? I think they sound the best for me, in road riding so don't really want MYB tyres so I'll go for the road ones but what's people's views on the sealant stuff then?
I have heard bad reviews saying they don't work, they bend the wheel frame, block the valve when trying to pump up? How do people find them? Would it be better to by inertubes that have the slime in

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/inner-tubes/slime-schrader-bike-inner-tube-20-26

Or get some better inertubes like continental ones and get a bottle of the slime stuff to fill them?

Dan
Tyres good enough by themselves. If you have a tubeless rim, use stans seal otherwise just take a spare inner tube.

• Informative

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Best tyres I've found are Marathon Plus "TOUR"
On my last bike I did 4000 miles without a puncture.
On my current bike I've done over 2000 miles and I've just picked up a "railroad spike" over an inch long and 2mm thick,
went through the tread and out of the sidewall, never punctured the tube
not a mark on the inside of the tyre or the tube.
....still running on the tyre and tube.
....I'll never ride anything else

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

Dan
Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Slime tubes. Bullet proof combo ;)

Reactions: mountainsport
D

Deleted member 4366

Before marathon Plus, I had approximately one puncture every 100 miles. Since Marathon Plus, no punctures in 4000 miles. Get the 1.75 size for better efficiency.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Before marathon Plus, I had approximately one puncture every 100 miles. Since Marathon Plus, no punctures in 4000 miles. Get the 1.75 size for better efficiency.
Hello d8veh, are you saying this for less rolling resistance, which will result in better mileage? Thank you for your answer in advance.
MS.

Advertisers