Q100cst freehub help please

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Broke the link in my chain yesterday, and I think it's been caused by the freehub sticking. Chain kept slappoing against chainstay when freewheeling and eventually parted.

There are 3 screws adjacent to the splines on the hub .....if I remove these will the hub come free ?

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need to disassemble the motor. Just take the nut off and you can pull off the free-hub from the motor. Those three screws hold the motor's clutch to the side-plate, so don't remove them. If you ever want to get inside the motor, remove one screw and then replace it with a short cap-head screw with a washer under the head. Draw a pencil line across the join, which is up near the spoke flange, then tap the cap-head screw anti-clockwise with a big hammer and screwdriver. The pencil line will show your progress. Once it's gone about an inch, you can lever the screw round with the screwdriver to unscrew it completely. Here's a photo to help you:

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
You don't need to disassemble the motor. Just take the nut off and you can pull off the free-hub from the motor. Those three screws hold the motor's clutch to the side-plate, so don't remove them. If you ever want to get inside the motor, remove one screw and then replace it with a short cap-head screw with a washer under the head. Draw a pencil line across the join, which is up near the spoke flange, then tap the cap-head screw anti-clockwise with a big hammer and screwdriver. The pencil line will show your progress. Once it's gone about an inch, you can lever the screw round with the screwdriver to unscrew it completely. Here's a photo to help you:
Thanks for the quick reply d8veh. I've got to own up and admit I did undo the 3 screws, but they have gone back in and tightened up ok.

Couple of the pawls seem a bit sticky.....doi need a new hub, or should I try some wd40 ?

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Thanks for the quick reply d8veh. I've got to own up and admit I did undo the 3 screws, but they have gone back in and tightened up ok.

Couple of the pawls seem a bit sticky.....do I need a new hub, or should I try some wd40 ?
Just to add......axle turns fine both ways...so think I got lucky !!
Used some wd40 and pawls now seem nice and free, so will re-assemble and see how we go..thks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Penetrating oil would be best. Then, when it's, free, add some dollops od grease. I think it's possible for water to get in, which causes rust and then sticking. They can stick down so you can't pedal too. Plenty of grease should keep the water at bay.

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Just gone for a short test run, and everything's working as it should...:)

Don't understand why it started sticking......can't have done more than 500 miles on it, and it's never been out in the wet.

Anyway, thanks again for your help d8veh.

Advertisers