Q128C freehub replacement

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes I did, the lcd4 might appeal for a less cluttered cockpit though for me I like to have my voltage and watts viewable. Also that dinky 2.1kg cst hub with int sinewave controller, a bit pricey though at $299 + $$$ extra for lcd option. 210, 225 & 250rpm versions.

These guys have really upped their game of late and sure look better then BMSB now.
That's a Kede motor. I keep looking at them, but there have been a lot of reliability issues. Also, they have a temperature sensor in them that cuts the power right down every time you go up a hill!

The Neomouvs at the bike show had the new tiny Bafang cassette motors in them. I haven't see any of the resellers selling that motor yet. I keep looking.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
TBK is now a really proper one stop shop for all kit needs now, loads on offer.
Good selection of AKM hubs and the AKM bbs clone as well as the usual mid drives.
Controllers as well.
BMS galore with many options and also batteries, looks like the Panny 3200mh BD is their flavour of the month at the mo and from what I read a very good 10a one.

barod

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2017
Warrington
So, I'm really happy to report that, following a recommendation above, I got in touch with Topbikekit to see whether they could order this part from AKM. And indeed they can! I sent them photos of what I was after, they got onto AKM and came back really quickly with the offer of a motor cover and freehub (see photo) for 13USD each, plus shipping. Result!!
34.jpg
34.jpg (205.37 KiB) Not viewed yet
They did also point out the difficulty of removing the motor cover, and I was able to assure them that I knew about that, but the problem had been overcome thanks to the mechanic in my LBS.
All being well a couple of these parts will be arriving with me soon (seemed worth doubling up, when the shipping was 28USD ) and I look forward to the resumption of trouble-free ebiking soon.
Anyone else in the same predicament as me and who doesn't want to splash out on a while new motor, I highly recommend TBK, they seem great.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Glad to hear they were able to sort you out, it's good to know there is a source of spares for these motors. Looks like TBK could now be providing the service that BMS Battery should of been for years.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

barod

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2017
Warrington
Glad to hear they were able to sort you out, it's good to know there is a source of spares for these motors. Looks like TBK should now be providing the service that BMS Battery should of been for years.
Indeed! Will reserve final judgement until they arrive, but assuming that all goes ok then they deserve to get more trade for this

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I made a crude ali leverage tool to undo my cover plate and a thump or two with a rubber mallet to budge it and found it quite easyto open. A half moon shape to go around the freehub and a two holes to align with the those as seen in the pic.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The plate comes off much easier if you warm up the hub between the spokes until it's around too hot to touch.

barod

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2017
Warrington
Mechanic made a lever from a strip of what looks like 5mm strip steel, and it was still a pig to get off apparentlymotor cover lever 2.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I opened my one when it was brand new which might have made it easier and then added a bit of copper slip to the thread to make future opening that much more easier.

barod

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2017
Warrington
I opened my one when it was brand new which might have made it easier and then added a bit of copper slip to the thread to make future opening that much more easier.
Aye, I'll definitely be doing that when the new cover arrives. I have a large tub of copper slip, which feels like a lifetime's supply, so it'll be getting applied fairly liberally!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It doesn't need much just a smidge.

Advertisers