Q128c is it a 328 or a 201 ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last summer after receiving my 36V Q128c/201 from BMSB with 36V 09 controller kit, I mounted it on on a 26" wheeled mtb for off-road use expecting a 19mph or so ride with good hill climbing. However this was not how it turned out I ended up with a 24/26mph flat speed ride with poor hill climbing off-road and a stuttering poor low speed/torque climbing on a 50 mile outing, the controller/hub combo appearing not to be getting on well together. After this initial outing I fired the bike up again a few days later and puff there was a pop and a cordite like smell from the controller, one of the caps in the controller had exploded leaving a fibery substance every where so I abandoned the bike and eventually removed the kit.

This week I decided to remove the BigBear BPM kit from my 700c Norco and fit the Q128c perceiving a faster commuter /town bike with the 328 hub that I assumed I ended up with, I coupled the Q to a dual voltage sinewave KT controller and lcd kit from PSWPower which has been lying around since last Autumn. Having re-laced and trued the 2 rims and fitted all components, I had 2 runs of wiring that needed to be tidied and used some 5mm spiral tidy which made an excellent job of routing the cables in to neat runs to the controller in a saddle tool bag under the seat.
Today a 18mile run out produced results I wasn't expecting, instead of the 25/26+ mph speedier ride I was expecting to have I ended up with a 18/20 mph ride with very good hill climbing and no stuttering. Having checked the lcd and that it wasn't restricted and checked the controller to make sure the speed wires were disconnected it does appear that the Q hub is a 201 speed hub as the label states and which I originally ordered.
So now I am wondering why I had different results today !!! I can only put it down to a faulty 09 controller but that doesn't explain why I got the 201 to go along at 25/26 mph originally.

On another note the Q128C runs very quietly with S/W controller and freely/ rides well with no power although you can feel the extra weight of the wheel hub when peddling The PSWPower controller is 20a 6 mosfet sinewave and not large being only 96x 61 x 35mm and is dual 36/48v, I haven't used it enough yet but it looks like it uses speed control as upping the assist levels going up gradients you feel a surge as the speed increases. The lcd is a simple KT/lcd2 with just speed/wheel size and mph /kmh to configure with the normal 5 assist levels. The lcd kit comes with a speed sensor included but this is not needed as the Q has an internal speed sensor, also comes with nice Wuxing 108x square thumb throttle that sits under the handle bar and a combo front light/horn with additional handle bar switch to operate both.

Advertisers