Querry about stem/post

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
Sorry me again my bike has an adjustable stem which the handlebars attatch to, if that's what its called, it looks a bit like a walking stick head, at the moment it faces to the front of the bike and can only be adjusted so far up, my question is can the stem, whatever, be put around the other way so it faces towards the seat of the bike. The reason being that the distance from the seat to the handlebars is further than my other bike and my short ride this morning showed that my wrists ache from leaning on them to much. I hope that makes sense, if the stem with its adjustable bit could be the other way around the handlebars would be nearer to me, the distance from the seat front to the stem/bars is a good 2-3 inches more than my other bike. I think its going to have to be a shop visit but could it be remedied by simply turning the stem around.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Well, you could turn it around but I think the handling would be significantly different. The stem is forward at the moment and you lean into it, pressing the bars forward and adding to straight-ahead stability as you go along. If you turned it around (assuming it won't hit the top-tube) you would be pressing from behind the pivot point and the bike would be noticeably more unstable. Maybe try it and see - or if it is adjustable can you not just raise the stem?

Michael

Reactions: 4bound

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
I really don't thin k this is a good idea, as Michael says it would make you bike steering unstable. I think your best bet would be to get a shorter stem from your LBS. It really shouldn't make you wrists ache to lean further forward. Perhaps there is some other problem with your bars, or the angle of your brake levers etc - can you post a photo?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Yup, it is a quill stem (bike is at this link, click on picture to enlarge). It is adjustable. Actually I'm not sure the adjustable stem RobF links to would give any improvement over the one that is there - what do you think RobF? It might need a new, higher, quill stem to improve matters. But there will be a limit on how much the bars can be brought back which is a function of the frame size itself.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Y But there will be a limit on how much the bars can be brought back which is a function of the frame size itself.
I agree.

If you drew a line up through the steerer, it won't be possible to mount the bars behind that line, which I suspect is what the OP wants.

An adaptor and a stubby stem may bring the bars back a little from where they are on the pic.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I agree.

If you drew a line up through the steerer, it won't be possible to mount the bars behind that line, which I suspect is what the OP wants.

An adaptor and a stubby stem may bring the bars back a little from where they are on the pic.
would I be better with a different stem that doesn't have the bit at the top and straighter handlebars, wouldn't they be nearer to me then, do away with the curved back ones.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
would I be better with a different stem that doesn't have the bit at the top and straighter handlebars, wouldn't they be nearer to me then, do away with the curved back ones.
Very hard to answer - I would really need to sit you on the bike and have a think.

One thing you could do is move the saddle forward on its rails - assuming it's not all the way forward already.

That would have the effect of shortening the reach - bringing the bars towards you.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
Very hard to answer - I would really need to sit you on the bike and have a think.

One thing you could do is move the saddle forward on its rails - assuming it's not all the way forward already.

That would have the effect of shortening the reach - bringing the bars towards you.
do you know of anyone or anywhere in the Solihull/Birmingham area that wouldn't charge me the earth to have a look, we don't know the shops around here being fairly new to the area, I only want the bike for light work/riding and its always kept inside so I don't need the most exspensive parts. If I can and its cheaper we'll get what we need online unless the shop can match the price.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
No bike shop should charge you to have a look and suggest what they could do.

As a general rule, the chain shops such as Evans and Halfords are useless at this type of job.

I have no knowledge of shops in your area, but a google brings up this lot.

http://www.redkitecycles.co.uk/

They are independent, which is what you want, and the website looks promising.

Some of the stuff looks high end, but they should give you a quote for any work so you will know the cost in advance.

They mention fitting customer's parts, but probably best to let them quote for the whole job.

It may be they will have another suggestion to improve the fit, so make the approach with an open mind.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
No bike shop should charge you to have a look and suggest what they could do.

As a general rule, the chain shops such as Evans and Halfords are useless at this type of job.

I have no knowledge of shops in your area, but a google brings up this lot.

http://www.redkitecycles.co.uk/

They are independent, which is what you want, and the website looks promising.

Some of the stuff looks high end, but they should give you a quote for any work so you will know the cost in advance.

They mention fitting customer's parts, but probably best to let them quote for the whole job.

It may be they will have another suggestion to improve the fit, so make the approach with an open mind.
many thanks

Advertisers