Rain

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
It seems I have now become a rain-god. I am not sure exactly when this happened but three times today I have donned my bright, Hi-Vis, waterproof jacket and opened the back porch door ready to wheel out a bike. Each time I have done this, the heavens have opened.

The sun's just appeared again but I think I'll just give the bike a miss today and see how things are tomorrow. Hey-ho!

Indalo

Goryl

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2012
How much do you want to stop opening your door while I am on the bike? Would paypal be ok?
I did only two 20 minutes trips and I took two massive showers...

Goryl

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I got caught out when it started to rain, took shelter under a tree but the drips kept falling on me.
It was only after about 5 minutes and by now soaking wet that I remembered I had a cycling cape in the pannier.
Although not too good and likely to blow about, it was wonderful!
I pulled it over my head and it felt like I was in a tent. I fitted my thumbs in the loops and set off again, only to find that I had to stop because of the rain on my glasses.
Nevertheless, I sat there with the rain streaming off it, none of it falling on me.My woolly hat got very wet, but being wool still kept my head warm. Must get some sort of cover for my hat.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Last weekend I got caught out. Thought about bringing my waterproofs and riding glasses but I foolishly didn't.

5 minutes after I set off it started pouring down with high winds. I had to carry on and my trousers got soaked. On the way back there was a bit of drizzle and thunder, which gradually increased to a massive thunderstorm with loads of hail and wind. I got battered. I was riding with my head almost down so the helmet would protect my head from the hail. If I had the glasses it would have helped enormously.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
I got caught out Wednesday morning after a 12 hour night shift.....no waterproofs...fashioned some from dustbin bags and electrical tape.............what am I like.....

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Last weekend I got caught out. Thought about bringing my waterproofs and riding glasses but I foolishly didn't.

5 minutes after I set off it started pouring down with high winds. I had to carry on and my trousers got soaked. On the way back there was a bit of drizzle and thunder, which gradually increased to a massive thunderstorm with loads of hail and wind. I got battered. I was riding with my head almost down so the helmet would protect my head from the hail. If I had the glasses it would have helped enormously.
What are 'riding glasses'? My trouble is that I need to wear glasses all the time and in heavy rain they get covered in rain drops. I was wearing a woolly hat at the time, I've got a helmet but it does not have a peak, perhaps a new helmet with a peak is the answer.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
They're just sunglasses with swappable lenses, the clear lenses are the ones to use but I always have the tinte ones fitted. They worked well today.

They were advertised as cycling sunglasses.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
They're just sunglasses with swappable lenses, the clear lenses are the ones to use but I always have the tinte ones fitted. They worked well today.

They were advertised as cycling sunglasses.
Thanks for the reply, obviously no good for me. My ordinary glasses are 'transitional' and darken in sunlight.
Mike

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
A cheap fix if you ride in the rain and need glasses. Buy a pair of safety goggles from a DIY shop. They fit over your glasses, and you can wipe the rain off with the back of your glove. Cost about £5.

Advertisers