Raleigh Stow-e-way motor issue

George c

Just Joined
Nov 7, 2023
My Raleigh Stow-e-way has developed an issue - at varying regularity, when I pedal, the motor whirs but doesn't deliver any assistance. It can be as frequent as 9 attempts out of 10, or can engage 5 times out of ten. No idea why.

It feels like it's not engaging - something like a clutch - it occasionally bites and delivers power with a slight crunch sound... any advice as to what the issue might be/how feasible a repair might be would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, I'm due a new rear rim anyway as it's pretty worn out, but given this motor issue, I wonder if its better to just get a whole new rear wheel with motor hub attached. And of course, Raleigh are no help but given it's a trans x system, I assume I could get another of match power rating and use it? Where might one find a 20" trans x compatible rear wheel/motor?

Thanks for reading!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
As the motor is spinning, it doesn't sound to me as if it's a motor problem. From previous posts here with similar issues, it's sounding to me as if it's simply the pawls in the freewheel sticking. The remedy there is to lay the bike on it's side and inject some 3-in-one oil into the bearings to free them off... seasoned bike mechanics will be along shortly and likely explain better.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My Raleigh Stow-e-way has developed an issue - at varying regularity, when I pedal, the motor whirs but doesn't deliver any assistance. It can be as frequent as 9 attempts out of 10, or can engage 5 times out of ten. No idea why.

It feels like it's not engaging - something like a clutch - it occasionally bites and delivers power with a slight crunch sound... any advice as to what the issue might be/how feasible a repair might be would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, I'm due a new rear rim anyway as it's pretty worn out, but given this motor issue, I wonder if its better to just get a whole new rear wheel with motor hub attached. And of course, Raleigh are no help but given it's a trans x system, I assume I could get another of match power rating and use it? Where might one find a 20" trans x compatible rear wheel/motor?

Thanks for reading!
The clutch isn't engaging. You must open the motor and either replace the clutch if it's a sealed unit or put some oill on the springs and pawls to free them up. The normal cause of that is water in the motor, often as a result of putting the wheel in the frame with the cable exiting up instead of down, though it can happen if you don't use the bike for a long time.

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
I had trouble with the clutch in my bafang swx02 but these are easy to come by and I bought a new one. Another member soaked his in something to free up the rollers and cured his. Its on the forum somewhere. good luck...........

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
back again look here might be of help;

Advertisers