real off roader?

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i have been looking at mtb styled e-bikes recently and have discovered that some look capable of handling normal mountain bike terrain but others are realy only suitable for milder use and just look like off roaders.
so with this in mind can any one suggest which brands and models are up to the job?
i would prefer a hard tail [Ie only front suspension]
thanks

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I guess that it depends on whether you want a mid drive system or a hub drive system.

If it's a mid drive then perhaps the Macina Race plus, as already mentioned. http://www.shop.flidistribution.co.uk/p/2015-ktm-macina-race-plus?pp=12

Or the KTM Macina Action Plus http://www.shop.flidistribution.co.uk/p/2015-ktm-macina-action-plus?pp=12 (I haven't looked to see the spec differences)

If it's hub drive, then as Wicky has suggested either the eRace P 29 or the eRace P 27. I rate this bike enough to be buying one myself, to go along side the Bosch powered Macina Lycan full suspension bike. :)

I've opted for the 27.5, but part of me thinks that I should have maybe given the 29 a shot. The reason being that when out on an organised mtb event last year, I rode with three other KTM riders, one of whom was on a Myroon 29er. Between us, we did several rolling tests, just to see if the Myroon had the legs to pull away on the gentle slopes of the road sections. Without fail, it crept away and surprisingly quickly as well. I know that the 29er isn't supposed to be as nimble on tighter sections, but I certainly didn't notice any difference.

Each of us is going to have our own preference towards bike brand, and bike brand loyalty, and I can only suggest that you look to see what dealers in your area are offering, short list a few bikes, then look at the components for each bike, versus the cost against other manufacturers offerings. Also look at the overall bike weight.
I felt that KTM ticked the boxes on all counts for me, so went in that direction. Someone else will feel just the same way about Scott, Haibike etc.
If you are considering 'proper' off road use, don't consider buying anything from the BH range. They might be fine for getting you to shops (possibly not back though) and that is all.

If you are near enough to me, I'll happily take you out for an off road ride when the next bike arrives, and you can then try both motor options to see what might suit your needs the best. Both have their plus and minus points, and despite what some on here might say, it isn't a clear cut thing of one being better than the other.

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
i would prefer a hard tail [Ie only front suspension]
thanks
You can't beat full suspension for medium to serious off road but you would need to get a good quality one. I would always choose a good hard tail over a mediocre full suspension and If you find you need a bit more comfort you can always add a suspension seat post. Again it needs to be good quality, there are plenty of seat post recommendations on here around the £60 mark.
When I was a lad 50+ years back, all bikes seemed to get treated as mountain bikes and mostly survived, even the ones we made ourselves out of bits found, begged and given.:)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
That's all mountain bikes were in the beginning. Gary Fisher and friends started it and began to strengthen the bikes over time.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
When I was a lad 50+ years back, all bikes seemed to get treated as mountain bikes and mostly survived, even the ones we made ourselves out of bits found, begged and given.:)
Looking back through rose tinted glasses, weren't they also the best. :)

Society has really changed for the worse.
As kids, we would make an almost daily trip to the local dump/tip to see what if any bikes had been dumped. From there we would just cobble together what ever worked, and it was always great fun doing it. We also learnt a hell of a lot about how bikes worked. These days, it's quite shocking what just gets thrown away and discarded. Once a chain goes rusty, the bike is binned. :(

Reactions: D C

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Whilst life is very good right now, those days were, in a selfish way the best.

No money, no internet or phones an no worries. Time, whatever that was lasted forever. They were great days, playing, learning and having fun outdoors. By contrast, we all know the speed and stresses of the modern days.

If I could go back in time with my current family I would at the drop of a hat. I loved those days.

Reactions: D C and EddiePJ

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thank you all for the suggestions.
some seriously good looking bikes
thats a very kind offer Eddie but i live too far away.
also DC your comments on a good hard tail are my thoughts exactly

Reactions: D C

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i have checked out the specs of all the bikes recommended above and they all seem excellent.
i own a full sus non electric bike and know how much you have to pay for serious off road ability,
i would not be using an off road e-bike for anything as serious as my full susser but would need it to be capable of giving me a pleasnt ride over reasonable trails.
i suppose i should have been a bit more clear about this in my origonal post.
sorry
with this in mind are there any e-bikes that are a bit cheaper that fit into this category.
i should also add that i prefer hub drive in answer to eddies question.
some examples being the ansmann rs26 , the oxygen emate 11 or 13 ahr the kudos tornado and arrba. and the volt alpine
thanks

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I like the Oxygen MTB.

It also has a slightly bigger battery than some of the others, which I regard as a good benefit.

The Volt can also be specced with a big battery, but I'm not too keen on the behind the seat post mount, particularly for trails.

The longer wheel base cannot be very agile.

Others may know more about the motor, but I think you would need a Volt X to match the poke of the 13ah Oxygen.

The Volt also has an adjustable stem which some mountain bikers would regard as less than ideal from a strength point of view.

It wouldn't cost a lot to change that to a rigid one.

Advertisers