Rear hub motor recommendations for cycle courier bike

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
vfr, have you built any Xiongda CST clone based e-bikes?
No. I've used Xofo, MXUS and Bafang versions. There's no difference between them in performance, noise, etc. I've never had any problems myself, but I had to fix a couple of Bafang ones with water inside, though it could be that someone installed them with the cable up instead of down.

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
Would they be ok at doing that for just a single motor? Would you go for the CST or BPM model?
Yes, 90USD for the motor + 85USD shipping, if you order a single motor.
Would definitely be going for the CST (cassette) version. I'm using 11-42 10 speed cassettes on all my bikes and there isn't anything comparable as a screw-on freewheel.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I've been trying to compare dimensions of the G040250DC and the YTW-05 motor. Not straightforward as they mostly give info on different measurements. However, the max housing diameter is 3 mm larger for the YTW-05 and it also has a 4 mm larger diameter spoke to spoke centre as far as I can see:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, 90USD for the motor + 85USD shipping, if you order a single motor.
Would definitely be going for the CST (cassette) version. I'm using 11-42 10 speed cassettes on all my bikes and there isn't anything comparable as a screw-on freewheel.
They have some controllers, LCDs, batteries, throttles PASs and other stuff to. It's worth getting as much as you can from them because the shipping on the other items is effectively free. I would make a shopping list and ask them if they can supply any of the items on it. I've had some kits from them with a bare motor and everything except battery for around £125 including shipping. When you consider that it costs £70 just for a controller and LCD from Topbikekit, that's a bargain.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
They have some controllers, LCDs, batteries, throttles PASs and other stuff to. It's worth getting as much as you can from them because the shipping on the other items is effectively free. I would make a shopping list and ask them if they can supply any of the items on it. I've had some kits from them with a bare motor and everything except battery for around £125 including shipping. When you consider that it costs £70 just for a controller and LCD from Topbikekit, that's a bargain.
Would they be able to supply a spare clutch? That might be a useful thing to have.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've been trying to compare dimensions of the G040250DC and the YTW-05 motor. Not straightforward as they mostly give info on different measurements. However, the max housing diameter is 3 mm larger for the YTW-05 and it also has a 4 mm larger diameter spoke to spoke centre as far as I can see:

View attachment 38767

View attachment 38769
That might be the difference between the 250w and 500w versions.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
That might be the difference between the 250w and 500w versions.
The dimensions for the G040.500DC look to be identical as the 250W version. Maybe the Bafang original that the YTW-05 was cloned from had slightly different dimensions?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Would they be able to supply a spare clutch? That might be a useful thing to have.
Probably, but their customer service is excellent. If your clutch failed in the first year, they's probably send you one for free. This is not a big faceless corporation. It's a small family business. Bonnie is the wife or daughter of the owner. That's why I like buying from them. It's like dealing with your friends.

Reactions: WheezyRider

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I found this rather poor quality image of the original BPM spec and that is 180 max diameter:

A bit academic, but probably useful to know if you have a CST or BPM and planned to replace it with a G040.250DC.

edit: Found a better pic:

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm currently using a Bafang G310 rear hub motor, but it's not really up to the task and I have to replace the internal nylon gears every few weeks. Now I'm looking for something more heavy duty.
I can see that you need a robust motor but let say 80 miles a day, 5 days a week, that's 400 miles a week. 20,000 miles a year.
Hub motors are built for 4,000 miles, you would save money with a direct drive motor.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I can see that you need a robust motor but let say 80 miles a day, 5 days a week, that's 400 miles a week. 20,000 miles a year.
Hub motors are built for 4,000 miles, you would save money with a direct drive motor.
I'm not convinced that's a good idea, he needs good hill climbing and good efficiency. There will probably be a lot of stop start etc too carrying a heavy load.

Where do you get the 4000 mile figure from for a hub motor? There are people who have used BPM type motors for over 10k miles and had no trouble on cargo bikes.

If you have to replace the cogs/dismantle and regrease once a year or so, I don't think that's a big hardship. At the end of the day, the whole motor is only $90. Compare that to the cost of running a delivery van.

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
I was under the assumption that hub motors would last much longer if I replace the nylon gears every 5000km or so. I can replace them myself and also lace hub motors into rims, so that would not cause any additional costs.

I live in Brighton, which is very hilly. I'm a bit concerned that a 250W direct drive would not be up to the task (I've never tried one though). Any specific legal DD recommendations i could look into?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Where do you get the 4000 mile figure from for a hub motor?
from personal experience. The OP said himself that he replaces his nylon cogs every few weeks.
The OP has explained his economic reasons, I accept his explanation.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Any specific legal DD recommendations i could look into?
there is no 250W DD motor that I know of. If you go for 1,000W one, you would need to put your bike through an SVA to be street legal.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
from personal experience. He said himself that he replaces his nylon cogs every few weeks.
The OP has explained his economic reasons, I accept his explanation.
Does that experience include CST/BPM and clones?

We've already established the G310 is not up to the job and it's looking like the CST clone is the best option for what he needs. A 1000W DD is just going to be illegal (unless he gets it thru an SVA, has MOT/insurance/licence and wears motorbike helmet), inefficient and he'll probably have to swap out battery packs every 10 to 20 miles.

Last edited:

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
there is no 250W DD motor that I know of. If you go for 1,000W one, you would need to put your bike through an SVA to be street legal.
And I would have to pay courier motorcycle insurance, which would be the same price as one new hub motor per month.

• Agree
Reactions: WheezyRider

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hub motors are built for 4,000 miles
That's not true. Bafang test spec was 30,000 miles 10 years ago. What about Bazwaldo's 26,500 mile Bearprint? He commuted in all weathers all year round and contributed to many of the threads about best wet weather riding gear. Many other forum members went way past 10,000 miles without problems.

Advertisers