Rear Tyre Puncture

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
Good Morning,
We are going away next week & I was planning on taking my wiper 705 with me, So husband got it out of garage yesterday to see if he can fit it in the car rather than having to take bike rack, Upon doing so he noticed I had a flat rear tree so pumped it up but it had a puncture so being a mechanical engineer he decided he can sort that out I mean how difficult can it be, he fixes buses so a bike must be simple, anyway turns out not as simple as he thought & he didn't think to consult the manual so now I have no working bike, After lots of shouting about the fact that if I wasn't so fussy I could have just rented a bike on holiday and he only done it to try to help me out he eventually said this is what he done & what the issue is now

Derailleur held on with Allen screw. I removed it to get wheel off. Whether right or wrong. When I put it back on it hits hub cogs. It’s under spring tension and I don’t know what position it needs to be fitted back correctly.

He took it to a local bike repair centre but apparently they were to busy to sort it out or even offer any advice of when they might be able to do it so can anyone please help, I looked at the manual & it states you need to remove the motor cable and a few other bits, I am guessing he didn't do this so could this be the issue & can anyone offer any advice on how he might get my bike back to a working state before I divorce him.

RogerA

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
You shouldn't need to remove the derailleur to repair a puncture. The wheel will drop out without touching it.
I suggest you look at the park tools website for instruction videos on fitting and adjusting a derailleur, although it shouldn't need adjusting once it has been refitted properly unless he has also been messing with the adjustment screws.
You would usually remove the chain to fit the derailleur, but you might be able to create enough slack by dropping the chain off the front chainring while doing it.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
You shouldn't need to remove the derailleur to repair a puncture. The wheel will drop out without touching it.
I suggest you look at the park tools website for instruction videos on fitting and adjusting a derailleur, although it shouldn't need adjusting once it has been refitted properly unless he has also been messing with the adjustment screws.
You would usually remove the chain to fit the derailleur, but you might be able to create enough slack by dropping the chain off the front chainring while doing it.
Thanks Roger, I don't think he would have messed with any settings, I will get him to take a look at the website you mentioned, He is normally really methodical but he has had a bout of bad health recently which has left him struggling a little so I think he just wasn't as methodical as normal, He was at work when I got home yesterday so won't see him until tonight and will try to find out what eh has actually done, I will try to get some photos as well.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks Roger, I don't think he would have messed with any settings, I will get him to take a look at the website you mentioned, He is normally really methodical but he has had a bout of bad health recently which has left him struggling a little so I think he just wasn't as methodical as normal, He was at work when I got home yesterday so won't see him until tonight and will try to find out what eh has actually done, I will try to get some photos as well.
Next time you get a puncture, don't take the wheel off. All you have to do is pull off the tyre on one side, pull out the tube, find the puncture (blow some air in it), patch it, remove whatever punctured it from the tyre, put the tube back in and then the tyre back on the rim. That's about 5 mins work.

If you fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, you won't get any more punctures.

Advertisers