Rear wheel rubbing on frame

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
i have boardman road bike with the wheel in the frame normal it’s sitting way to the left. i flipped the wheel over so the cassette was on the left and it’s lined up where is the fault do you think. frame shows no damage wheel is true

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The rim needs dishing to align the wheel correctly, this means loosening the spokes about half or one turn on the side that is rubbing and then tightening the spokes on the other side the same turn amount. When done you should notice the rim has moved over, if it is not enough you have to do it again until you are happy.

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
The rim needs dishing to align the wheel correctly, this means loosening the spokes about half or one turn on the side that is rubbing and then tightening the spokes on the other side the same turn amount. When done you should notice the rim has moved over, if it is not enough you have to do it again until you are happy.

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
Hi Thanks I was having my Sunday lunch and this went though my mind i put the wheel in as it should be and dished the wheel it made a big improvement. This proves you don’t need to spend 60 quid on a dishing tool just 3 quid on a spoke key. many thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Dishing in situ with a true rim in theory should stay true as you release tension on one side and tighten tension on the opposite side, however you can't guarantee it remaining totally true.
I place a cable tie around the stay and cut the tail off so it touches the rim, then use the tie as my guide as to which spoke/s might need adjusting for final trueing as I rotate the rim/wheel.
The tie remains on the stay permanently and I just twist it so the tails doesn't keep rubbing.

Reactions: Scorpio

Advertisers