Help! Replacement electronic controller required

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes anything is poss if you can solder before doing anything identify and label what the wires are for.
Brakes, pas, throttle, speed sensor.

Battery & motor bullet wires are self explanatory.
Controller from what I see is square wave unsensored.

No current rating so assume it is 15a.
Most user friendly option is KT 15 or 17a controller with LCD 3, if you battery rating is known then a 17a will give a bit more pep.

Last edited:

Lee Arnall

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2018
Wirral, Merseyside
Yes anything is poss if you can solder before doing anything identify and label what the wires are for.
Brakes, pas, throttle, speed sensor.

Battery & motor bullet wires are self explanatory.
Controller from what I see is square wave unsensored.

No current rating so assume it is 15a.
Most user friendly option is KT 15 or 17a controller with LCD 3, if you battery rating is known then a 17a will give a bit more pep.
Thank you so much nealh, that's a great help. I was a bit overwhelmed my the techno speak, but with the help If this wonderful forum I’ve found the best setup for my needs .
I’ll put the order in and do my homework while waiting for the delivery.
Cheers

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It looks complicated, but it's dead simple when you've got it figured out. You need to be able to solder wires, which is not difficult. You'll probably need some heatshrink tube too.

Lee Arnall

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2018
Wirral, Merseyside
It looks complicated, but it's dead simple when you've got it figured out. You need to be able to solder wires, which is not difficult. You'll probably need some heatshrink tube too.
Cheers for the encouragement - I bought a soldering kit recently so will have some practice before I commit, I also have the solder seal sleeve - I assume this would do the job too?

can you please clarify what to do about the option in the listing for brakes - I have mechanical disk brakes should I select none and use the existing wiring?

also thre is the colour screen lcd9 is that worth considering over the lcd3 there is also lcd5 ?

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You don't need brake sensors with a KT controller. I've never had them on my bike and I don’t miss them. You can always buy some in the future if you feel you need them, or coose the hydraulic brake switches, which you can fit to any brakes. You might want to think about upgrading your brakes to hydraulic. They don't cost much, and it's the best improvement you can make to any bike that doesn't have them.

Lee Arnall

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2018
Wirral, Merseyside
You don't need brake sensors with a KT controller. I've never had them on my bike and I don’t miss them. You can always buy some in the future if you feel you need them, or coose the hydraulic brake switches, which you can fit to any brakes. You might want to think about upgrading your brakes to hydraulic. They don't cost much, and it's the best improvement you can make to any bike that doesn't have them.
Thanks vfr400 any thoughts on the alternative lcds - lcd5 lcd9?.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Avoid LCD5. it doesn't give access to all settings. I've not tried the LCD9, but I'm against integrated devices in general. Also, it looks great, but does it have clearance for your brake and shifter?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Avoid LCD5. it doesn't give access to all settings. I've not tried the LCD9, but I'm against integrated devices in general. Also, it looks great, but does it have clearance for your brake and shifter?
Are you sure? Every LCD5 display I've seen gives access to P1-5 and C1-14.

Lee Arnall

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2018
Wirral, Merseyside
Hi all was just about to submit the order and realised I haven’t confirmed if it’s a sensor less model, could someone please refer to the previous photo does that answer if it’s hallless or not?

also I’ve had mention of squarewave and sine wave controller - can you tell me which one I need from the photo of the existing controller, thank you in advance

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi all was just about to submit the order and realised I haven’t confirmed if it’s a sensor less model, could someone please refer to the previous photo does that answer if it’s hallless or not?

also I’ve had mention of squarewave and sine wave controller - can you tell me which one I need from the photo of the existing controller, thank you in advance
How many pins on the motor connector?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
From the hub follow the motor cable, it should lead to a connector pull it apart to see how many pins it has. From the controller pic it looked to me that it might be unsensored but the motor cable check is a sure thing.

If planning on using a throttle then one brake cut out is best in case of a throttle fault, as you have mech brakes an HWBS inline sensor can be used or use the brake levers on offer and swap both over.

Lcd 3 is nice and gives all the display info you need voltage, watts being drawn etc etc. If you want a nice small discreet one then lcd4 is nice.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us links to the bits you plan on buying so that you don't make an error.

When it comes to changing over we are here to help should you have any queries or problems.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your motor has hall sensors, but no speed sensor, so you'll have to add a wheel magnet type sensor to your kit.

The sine wave version of the controller will be fine.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
o_O Julet don't make them like that any more :D.
You can keep the controller to motor cabe/connector and once you know the motor is running correctly solder the wires direct at the controller end rather then use more connectors.

As vfr has mentioned buy a speed sensor with spoke magnet and we will tell you how you can easily wire that up so the lcd records your speed and mileage.

Lee Arnall

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2018
Wirral, Merseyside
o_O Julet don't make them like that any more :D.
You can keep the controller to motor cabe/connector and once you know the motor is running correctly solder the wires direct at the controller end rather then use more connectors.

As vfr has mentioned buy a speed sensor with spoke magnet and we will tell you how you can easily wire that up so the lcd records your speed and mileage.
Thanks gang, So ive put my shopping list together (see attached pic)
ive opted for the colour version of the lcd3 (lcd8h), Planning for future hydraulic disk brakes so included that, and included the hwbs for current brake system cut off.

i assume the recommended speed sensor is a spokeC20F23D3-3FC3-46EE-887F-9CE478DC52B8.png magnet I didn’t get to see the option of what it looks like.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All looks good, selecting form the drop down boxes makes life much easier.

The speed sensor is pretty much std, a spoke magnet passing by the hall sensor fixed to the rear stay.

Lee Arnall

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2018
Wirral, Merseyside
All looks good, selecting form the drop down boxes makes life much easier.

The speed sensor is pretty much std, a spoke magnet passing by the hall sensor fixed to the rear stay.
Many thanks all for your input. I’ll get it ordered and will be back for help I’m sure once it arrives,

Advertisers