Replacement for CK-1 display

aardvarkash10

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2021
Hi all - my bike got left out in the rain - upside down. :-( The display is dead, unsurprisingly, so I need to replace it. The connector is a five-pin, quite small.

Are the displays pretty much universal eg can I replace it with a KT xxx display as long as the connector is correct?

The bike is torque-sensor, rear 250w hub. The bike is described in this thread.

Attachments

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Hi. Unfortunately, a 'KT' display will not work as a replacement for your existing display. What model of bike/kit do you have?

Last edited:

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Have you tried putting it somewhere warm (airing cupboard), possibly in a bag of a moisture absorbent (rice / silica gel)? This may bring it back to life if left for a couple of days.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
LCD's aren't generally compatible between different brands/makes even if the same connector is used. Command protocols carried by the TX/RX lines will be programmed differently.
Controller brand may help.

aardvarkash10

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2021
Alright, a summer of sailing and other pursuits distracted me, but I'm back onto this so its thread resurrection time.

I've given up on finding a suitable display, and I am now looking at replacing the entire torque sensor/controller/display system so I have a known quantity and some hope of repair and service in future.

Aliexpress tells me I can get a Sempu system with torque sensor and controller/display for about $300 NZD landed.

Will this work with my 36v AKM 13.0 hub motor?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: aardvarkash10

flyingdonkey

Just Joined
Jan 7, 2023
I am also looking for a replacement of the CK-1 Display (mine got stolen...).
I found the Focan 861 with the same connector. Are only the KT s incompatible or are all displays specific for their brand?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT displays are only compatibale with Kt controllers.
Most other displays are again only compatible with the controller brand they are programmed for, to be 100% sure a display will work one has to buy it and the controller as a pair. The reason being is that some displays that look the same and are the same are used with differing controller brands , the display software is then programmed by the brand supplier.

For instance lets say Lishui and Bafang both use the same lcd display, because they use differing software to programme them the displays would not work correctly if they were swapped over. They will both turn on , but one may not see the PAS operate or some other data correctly.

Generally you need to go back to the supplier and source a display to be sure it works or you bite the bullet with two options .
1. Buy another display that is the same and hope it might work correctly.
2. Buy anew controller and paired display and replace the electronics.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyingdonkey

flyingdonkey

Just Joined
Jan 7, 2023
It seems that the controller unit is located in the frame. At first glance, it seems neither identifiable nor replaceable. Could it be that you have to remove the fork to get access to the controller unit? Or was it welded in?

I will ask tomorrow in a local ebike store and, if I'm not helped there, I will try my luck ordering the display.

I assume using my smartphone as a display (with a 5pin -> usb-c cable) is also not an option for software reasons. Is it?

Attachments

flyingdonkey

Just Joined
Jan 7, 2023
I pulled now the battery out of the frame just to realize that there is no controller at all in the frame. After some research in this forum I found that the controller for this bike is actually integrated in the ED100 "Super Torque Sensor".
I didnt find anything useful about this controller online and ordered the display mentioned earlier. Shipment time is like 2 months and I'd appreciate any suggestions of how to find out about the compatibility in the meantime.

flyingdonkey

Just Joined
Jan 7, 2023
The Focan 861 display arrived now and turns on. The motor also turns on when pedalling but the assist levels do not change and the displayed speed always stays on 0.

I am not sure whether this is a problem with the compatibility or a problem with the settings.
I set the wheel size and current properly, but I struggle to find out how many magnets my the PAS has (P13 of the display) and what to set at P07 ("magnet steel number for speed test" should do 1-100 according to the instructions but can actually be set 1-256 in the display menu).

Can anyone help me with these numbers or exclude an incompatibility?

Advertisers